ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#127812 01/08/02 08:08 PM
A
aldav53 Offline OP
I'm doing a job at a auto repair garage that has a 400 amp 3ph panel. Reading the voltages I got 120v to ground on all 3 phases and between phase A & B it read 215v, B & C was 215v, but A & C was 0 volts. I have never come across this before. Also not sure why I got 215v between phases instead of 208v or 230v. Transformer problems? Any ideas? Thanks..
Al D

The Golden Rule - "The man with the gold makes the rule"
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
Al,
drop a phase? x-former crapped out? check the draw on yer motors....single phasing should pop a few OL's ??

A
aldav53 Offline OP
I found the problem last week on the wrong 3ph voltage readings. The customer had some so-called electricians out to do some work previously and they shorted something and blew one of the 3 legs (Phase A) at the meter where the panel was fed from, and they could'nt figure it out so they tied the circuits that were off to breakers on the other working phases just to get it working.
The reason I was getting reading on all 3 phases is it was being backfed through some load. Hard to believe someone could do this and then cover it up and leave it because they couldn't figure it out. It was a new Meineke Muffler business and wasn't open yet so the customer would'nt have noticed more problems until later.

The Golden Rule - "The man with the gold makes the rule"

Link Copied to Clipboard