ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Scott35 Offline OP
Broom Pusher and
[Linked Image]

This schematic is for the 9 phase rectifier transformer, shown on recently posted picture.

This one has 1 delta 3 wire secondary [X1, X2, X3], plus two Wye 3 wire secondaries [Y1, Y2, Y3 and Z1, Z2, Z3].

Comments??

Scott SET - can't spell at all [Linked Image]

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
would'nt the 'umph' be somewhat split up in the secondaries?

[Linked Image]

Scott35 Offline OP
Broom Pusher and
Ya, the total Umph would be very much split up in the secondaries, so having a good balance of load on each secondary is really something to drive for.

Since this Animal is intended to drive Rectifiers, I imagine the loads across each secondary would be closely matched.

The output of the complete Rectifier using all these secondaries would have minimal "ripple Voltage" [the resulting left over peaks of the AC waves imposed on the DC flows]. The ripple is lessened due to an increase of 6 more waves per rotation cycle, than straight 3 phase [rotation cycle meaning for 3 phase there are 3 separate cycles with peaks at + and - per one rotation of the generating device - if that makes any sense [Linked Image]]
I'm not sure of how to explain that, as I have just come up with that term "rotation cycle". Persons should not try to look it up in tech books for verification, as it only exists in tech books from the planet Dingleberrious 9 [Linked Image] [my home planet].

Looking at this as compared to various 1 phase rectifiers, the quality of output DC is far better - even across a 3 phase bridge [as compared to a full wave bridge 1 phase rectifier].

This transformer's ratings are:
E-pri: 480 VAC 3 phase [+/-10% of primary taps] Primary taps allow from 432 to 504 volts to be used.

E-sec: 120 VAC [all 3 secondaries have 120 VAC output*]
Max total KVA: 200 KVA
Z= 5.0% [+/- 10%]

* I need to verify these voltage listings, as they were N/A at the time of photographing [Linked Image]

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
S
OK,
so why would one of these, or where would one be used ?

(God, i sound like bugs bunny after a hit to the gourd ....what..who...where..why...how....)

[Linked Image]

Ski Lifts and other DC safety equipment requiring foolproof operation?

I think I've seen these at a local ski resort...

Dspark has a point in the other thread...
How are these other "phases" derived?
How does it differ from a 120/240V single phase coil split?
Could a cap be used to lag the sine wave?

More Q's than A's for me!

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 05-14-2001).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Scott35 Offline OP
Broom Pusher and
This schematic has also been [or bean if we're talking chili [Linked Image]...] edited in AutoCAD, then reposted.

It's a whole lot bigger now than before, so no need to use microscope [Linked Image]

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
P
Scott,

Thanks for all of the transformer theory, I knew practically nothing before you began these series. I had a couple of questions that I think I know the answer to, but just wanted to ask to make sure.

On the primary of this transformer, each phase has two coils in series. Does each coil on any of the secondaries derive power from both coils in series on the primary? Or, does a coil on any of the secondaries derive power from only one coil?

The primary coils have what appears to be taps numbered 5 3 1 2 4 6 with a jumper between 3 and 2. Are those taps used to trim the input/output voltage ratio? Or do they have something to do with the lead and lag of phases you mentioned earlier?

While on the subject of lead and lag (which makes my brain hurt). Is this accomplished somehow by the way the wires are wound and positioned or are there other components in the system which are used? I really don't think I am ready for complex theory if it is accomplished in the windings, just curious?

Thanks again.
Phil H

Scott35 Offline OP
Broom Pusher and
Phil,

Glad these discussions are helping out!!! That's what they are all about.

To your Qs:

1: These coils for the Primary Windings are connected in Parallel with each other [3 seperate single phase 2 wire coils], forming the common "Closed Delta" connection.
If they were connected in series, then it would be a Wye connected Primary.
However, there is an alteration to what I just said here, which is related to your 2nd question.

2: Yes, the 1,3,5 - 2,4,6 taps are as you thought, voltage regulation taps for input Primary voltage [% voltage taps].
In a way, this has created split coils on each primary winding, and the tap points will be connected in series.
We do have two coils per primary phase here, as would be the typical split coil transformer. In addition to these split coils, we have Autotransformer sections at the ends of the coils. The % voltage taps accomplish voltage regulation [more like voltage matching] through the use of the Autotransformers' multi tap points. Connecting the series jumper between the split coils on a certain set of taps will adjust the overall voltage for that winding. This should match closely to the normal voltage in which the primary will be dealing with on-site.

3: Right again!! Coil winding vs core flux [relative polarity] is the key here.
Kind of hard to explain, even harder to type it out, so let me see what I can do about translating this into something understandable.

Great Qs here!!

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson

Link Copied to Clipboard