ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 331 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Assuming they need 230V and say 20A for their sanders what do y'all suggest they do - call an electrician? If a flooring company said to me we need to get an electrician out to your house so he/she can install the correct outlet for our equipment (and by the way you are going to pay for it), I'd tell 'em to go jump in the lake. So lets hear some real honest to goodness practical suggestions what would y'all do?

I
iwire Offline OP
The flooring contractor could bring a generator and enough cord to do the job.

That is how many cement cutting and coring companies handle this problem.

I really don't even have a problem with the cord above. I do have a problem with the use of alligator clips on the main. Keep in mind that if they blow stuff up it will be your panel that needs replacing.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
J
Exactly. If you have a machine that requires a voltage and/or amprage that you will not normally find an outlet for in a building, it is YOUR responsibility to bring your own power! Not doing this is just unprofessional, IMHO.

W
Trust me, this adapter cord is a GREAT improvement over most sander connections. Most are rigged to the breaker box, across the hot side of the main. Also since this is a motor, would not the breaker be sized to the HP of the motor, not the wiring size? Robert

I
ITO Offline
It’s a pretty clever solution to their power needs and it beats the hell out of the alligator clip hack. If it were my house I would let them use this, the worst that could happen is their equipment and cord past the 20A twist lock is not protected, and hopefully the motor would have some overload protection.

Sure some contractors have generators, but which bid did you select the high guy with then generator, or the low guy with the home made cord adapter?

101° Rx = + /_\
S
Not to mention that portable generators in high-rise buildings without external fire escapes are kind of useless. smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard