ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#125032 02/05/07 02:51 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
This is an empty pad at the nearby mobile-home holiday park. The circuit breaker is off, but would you be happy with the feeder just cut off and taped like this, within easy reach of children and animals?

[Linked Image]

Uhh, no!

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
L
Not just the tape job, (what kind of tape is that??) but the lack protection for those underground cables. Should be in a RMC or PVC conduit.

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

P
pauluk Offline OP
It's regular PVC electrical tape, green/yellow stripes (the modern colors for ground connections here).

The underground cables are armored, and are actually suitable for direct burial:

[Linked Image]

R
I hate that type of cable. I found that terminating the ends with those brass connectors really sucked. Very time consuming. Heavy duty stuff but it sucked doing terminations.

J
We use armoured cable for most applications in our factory. Steel conduit is just too time consuming, it all has to be threaded and screwed together. As with most things, once you are used to it, it only takes minutes to make off.

I took my time, I hurried up, The choice was mine, I didn't think enough
L
Interesting! Never seen the stuff before. I can see your point also Johno12345, so true. Is anyone else ever seen or used this type of cable before?

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

T
SWA (steel wire armored) cable seems to be particular to the UK and UK influenced countries. Years ago there was a lot of talk about that stuff here.

T
Sat lurking here for ages and finally got round to registering. Be gentle with me as I am a UK spark [35+years] but don't understand half of the USA terms used on here, sorry.
Anyway, 3 swa's into a 4" box [could even be 3"], nice job! Bet it is a sight inside the box with all its rust. Hate to say it but fairly typical of Mobile home parks. The ones that we used to work on were dissed [water and elec] by the shifters and the soil pipe removed by virtue of the flat-back driving off site and pulling the pipe out of the ground so that any residual contents could 'self drain'...mmmm nice!

T
Either there's a whole lot of tape there or they at least used choc blocks on the wires. The outline does look familiar.
And I don#t know about the UK green/yellow tape, but any Austrian and German I've seen so far is far inferior to all other colors and will come off even faster than regular tape would in such an environment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard