ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 277 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
E
We do work for some real estate agents to repair inspection report problems and I had one yesterday I didn't know what to do with.
The report said: "Have a licensed electrician repair the expected low voltage at front and back flood lights". These lights were standard double floods with motion sensors. I put the lights in the test mode and they worked fine. What do you think the inspector wanted us to do?
Thanks, David.

M
Eagle:
I think these home inspectors are lacking in a lot of the fundamentals. I did or redid a job the home-owner was advised by one of these home inspectors, to replace the service cable and said it was the cable from the service panel to the meter base.
The guy who did the work didn't have a permit and didnt really understand the difference between a Service panel and a sub-panel he put a ground bar kit in the service panel but the kicker was the guy attached the ground bar kit with ' Dry-Wall Screws' .
The whole problem was the new owners had to pick up the bill for the previous owners, Mis guidance via a Home-Inspector.

-Mark-

P
All I can think of is that for some reason he thought the lights weren't as bright as they should be, and therefore assumed or "expected" the problem to be low voltage.

S
I seriously don't think most 'home inspectors' who are biased by a high percentage of real estate biz , especially in states that have no certification requirements (other than a pulse) no what to look for.
They simply latch onto low $$ buzzwords, and fake it from there......

F
i would just double check the connections and up the bulb to the max allowable size thats listed on the socket.

E
Just as a thought, don't know if this shoe will fit. . .some motion detectors have a dusk to dawn mode that runs the lamp(s) at 50% dim until motion is sensed, then full voltage goes to the lamps. I don't recall the make or manufacturer. Just know that they are out there.

Al

Al Hildenbrand
N
I wonder what would these home inspectors do if we started sending them a bill for causing unnecessary work?
Maybe we should try to get these clowns to have to pass the same tests as building, plumbing and electrical inspectors- after obtaining a journeyman's license in each of the areas they inspect. Something for your councilmen and/or state senators?

ed

Link Copied to Clipboard