ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 274 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Good questions. joeh, a slight edit on Q#9... How did that hole shiny new stripping notch get burnt so precisely machined into those Kliens anyway?

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 08-11-2002).]

E
Thanks for the suggestions! Hey Ron, Where've you been? Haven't seen you post for a while.

Joel, yes, I will submit a copy of it when complete as long as Bill doesn't mind.

M
Before I started my new job, I had to take a series of tests. All of them timed.

1st test - Math - NO CALCULATORS!
About 25 questions ranging from basic addition & subtraction to adding and subtracting measurements (ie: 5'6 3/8" - 4' 3 1/4")to long division.

It's been years since I did anything without calculator... I even have one on my watch!

2nd Test - Open book code questions... basics.

3rd Test - Identify blue print symbols.

4th Test - Hands on - I was given a drawing showing single device metal stud boxes mounted in different locations on a metal stud wall with 12-3 MC run to all boxes in a circle. Top box fed with 12-2 MC.

Then there were 4 drawings of circuits that I had to wire using these four boxes and the wiring. (ie: two 3W - 1 bulb, 1/2 switched receptacle, etc..) Not all of the wiring and boxes were used for all circuits.

5th Test - Identify material.
10 numbered items (EMT SS box connector, MC double connector, etc) All items were numbered. All items were listed. had to match numbers with items on list.

6th Test - Conduit bending - Hands on.
Had to make predetermined bends including saddles.

When I had my own business, I gave a 20 question verbal test on basic wiring to determine an applicants experience. the questions were designed to generate discussion. From the discussion, I could get a good idea of how much B.S. an applicant had.

I also gave a basic hands-on conduit bending test. This method always worked for me.

A
Eagle, I have been real busy. Not to mention trying to break in a new guy from Atlanta. He worked for a company up there for two years and they do everthing the opposite from me. His first words as we loaded the trucks "man, what's all the 12 for". I replied "to wire a house with". He came from a company that used all 14. I totally know what youre up against on the employee issue. We had a rough week and I had to go home thursday before I lost it. I hate it when I HAVE to be the boss.

H
How about:

Regardles of your electrical knowledge are you willing and interested to learn the trade starting at the beginning from an experienced person?

The slang term for "electroendosmosis" is "green goo ooze"?

Thermoplastic insulation, where used on dc circuits in wet locations, may result in electroendosmosis between conductor and insulation.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
S
Hey EE. I've been teaching first year apprentices for 10 years now. I have many work sheets, quizzes and tests on the computer. Most are MS Word 97 or Corel Word Perfect 8.0 format. Send me an email address and I'll send you a whole bunch you can look thru.
stevemiller@technologist.com

Broom Pusher and
Steve,

send a copy to me! I would like to take a look at them.

Send me a copy in MS word 97 format to:

dtbigred@pacbell.net

Tanks!!!

Scott S.E.T.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
B
Ten Points again, Joe!

I spoke to Bruce McClung, a senior engineer at Union Carbide about it once. He was the original submitter of the term to be included in the 310-13 FPN. He mentioned that they had seen it fiercely on 125VDC fire-alarm circuits on offshore oil platforms.

[Electroendosmosis occurs when thermoplastic insulation {eg, vinyl, usually containing a ‘T’ code letter} is used for DC in the presence of moisture. That is not of concern with thermoset insulations, often containing an ‘R’ code letter.]

For years I always thought wiring of DC breaker controls in switchyards with single/cabled RHW/RHH/USE {and XHHW-2 lately} was just an old habit, and it took some years to realize there was a very good reason.
http://www.southwire.com/tech/pubs/pcu/95/pcu0195.htm#Control http://power.tycoelectronics.com/pdf/ks20921-flexible-power-wire.pdf

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard