ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#124698 12/01/06 09:53 AM
Cat Servant
Iwire, you might have a valid point of view. This install, however, is EXACTLY what the local AHJ prescribes. Had I buried it, that would have caused some problems at inspection time. Heck, I'm lucky they don't insist on a full 10" above ground, so that they can read the stamping!

Now, the picture might be a bit deceptive; the -maybe- 2" of rod sticking up is not enough for a rod cap to grip. Heck, the diameter is small enough that I have trouble keeping the smallest caps on the rods I have in my garden!

Now, to be fair, I DID drive the rod as far as the rod-driver would allow. To go any deeper, I would have needed to dig. And that, as noted earlier, would have raised further issues at inspection.

Not visible is also the local insistance on #4 solid copper for the GEC. That is always a real joy to attach to the ground clamp. Those of you who use "acorns" have no idea how easy you have it!

#124699 12/04/06 09:52 AM
T
Reno,

Maybe you can answer this question.

Would it work in your area, to weld a cheap Carbide concrete bit on the end of the ground rod, or braze if you are using a solid copper one, and then drive the rod with your sds hammer drill?

I have a couple of area's here on the rail road where the rock is sticking up out of the ground, and where do you think the relay boxes go? That saves them from getting run over by lawnmower man!

TW

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard