ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 220 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#124641 11/21/06 09:57 PM
Bob:
FWIW, the steel beam MAY become energized by any conductors that may pass over it. No, there are no conductors going over Shock's steel in the pic.

Now, before I start a war.....the above comment is a popular consensus of how steel beams are treated in areas that I am familiar with. A opinion from DCA favored bonding steel beams as in Shock's pic.

Stay safe..
John

John
#124642 11/23/06 11:59 AM
D
if it does not make up a frame connected to the vertical poles what is it there for? looks? the beam and verticles are interconnected to make a support frame. now the interpretation of may become energized is open to anyone

[This message has been edited by dannynova (edited 11-23-2006).]

#124643 11/23/06 12:28 PM
I
Bob:
FWIW, the steel beam MAY become energized by any conductors that may pass over it. No, there are no conductors going over Shock's steel in the pic.

My metal file cabinet may become energized as a lamp cord is resting on it.

I don't have to bond it.

Of course if I was in NJ I would have to play by their rules but IM(not so H)O it is a bad call on NJs building dept.

if it does not make up a frame connected to the vertical poles what is it there for?

Whatever reason it is there for it is not "a steel building frame" it is just some steel supports.

If I had an all steel building frame with some wood framed walls would you now say it is a wood framed building?

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#124644 11/23/06 01:40 PM
Cat Servant
There is a real need to "learn" before you start "inventing."

Sure, a lot of things are not spelled out, are inferred, or considered so common as to not require eleboration. To top it all off, language is not perfect- but it's all we've got!

A reference to a "steel building frame" is generally considered to be a reference to a sort of construction where I-beams and such make up the primary construction of a building .... and not a reference to every incidental piece of steel that might be present.
This reference is NOT generally applie to steel roofing, or aluminum siding, or - as in the pic- an incidental load beam. We're talking houses here, not swimming pools.
There is even some room for debate as to whether the requirement would apply to those light-steel buildings, commonly used for commercial construction.

IMO, one of the prime consideration is that the beams in a traditional steel beam structure may be used for the grounding of transformers, or other power sources.

"May become energised" is another such statement. Sure, anything, anywhere, can, under the right conditions, become energised. Even an empty soda can afloat in the ocean.

So, we need to look at 'where will the electricity come from.' A wire running alongside is generally not considered a source of risk. Change that to a steel junction box, and the answer likely will change. Make it a metal box with both connections and loads - say, a water heater- and the answer is a definite "bond it!"

Another issue we can't escape: code aside, it simply is not possible to be an electrician without making countless 'judgement calls.' That's what a journeyman is paid to do. We're not just a bunch of trained apes, following a cookbook recipe. You can't become an electrician by reading a book, attending seminars, or simply "being logical." You also have to be in the field, doing the work. There are countless differing situations out there, a multitude of construction types. In short, you have to "learn the trade."

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard