ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 267 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
I have no idea... so far they just started to rip apart the old one - the control panel is missing, some of the conduit is just broken and wires cut and they removed the main cables that hold up the cab. Looks pretty sad.

Before they took it out I even shot a video going up in that thing. If I manage to compress it far enough I'll upload it to Youtube for all of you to watch.

Sorry, I completely forgot about the fuse holders!
I'll weigh one and try to find out shipping costs to the US!

T
Ok, grab a seat... shipping for 2 fuse holders with screw caps and fuses would be roughly 15 Euros!
Since they're not that heavy (250g each) I guess a heavier parcel wouldn't be much more expensive, so if you wanted anything else shipping would be less costly.

Regarding the French plugs you once wanted: I'm sorry to tell you just after I promised them to you the Czech supermarket stopped carrying rewireable plugs...

T
Now it's final. The elevator is gone. [Linked Image]
Today they took the angle grinder to it.

I only managed to save a few small parts like signs, the ceiling light, door hinges, handles and the original alarm button, a bell button with ivory knob and oak casing.

A really really sad sight!

S
That's tragic. [Linked Image]

But at least you managed to get some relics from it.....and photos.

It's a shame that that's all that will remain. Hopefully they'll make the new elevator look a bit like the old one, so it doesn't look too out of place.

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 03-08-2007).]

T
Considering how cheap those people are I'm pretty sure they are going to keep the old metal cage and only remove the door to put in a new standard elevator cage with doors. Otherwise they'd have to pay for a new stair rail as well and I just can't see that in the future. They even left the old wooden meter board in place and will probablly only install a new breaker panel to avoid messing around with meter wiring (which would force them to upgrade several things because new PoCo codes apply)...

Most tenants are pretty sad... except for one family... "Thanks heaven! Finally that old stuff is gone! Hope they'll put in something decent!"
I have to admit I was close to physically attacking that guy... it hasn't been the first fight with that particular family.

S
Most tenants are pretty sad... except for one family... "Thanks heaven! Finally that old stuff is gone! Hope they'll put in something decent!"
I have to admit I was close to physically attacking that guy... it hasn't been the first fight with that particular family.

Wow, you can get quite emotional, no? [Linked Image]

Having lived a good part of my young life in old, decrepit buildings like that, I can probably understand why he would think like that.

The buildings I lived in ... some are beautiful, I loved how they looked outside, and all the architectural details inside.

But the conditions were not all that good, because unfortunately the landlord wouldn't invest in the building. Some of the tenants also didn't give a *$%# and made things worse, in fact.

Rotten water pipes, rotten electric wires, stairs that were all crooked from age, leaky roof. The steam heat & hot water didn't work sometimes, etc.

So, while it's unfortunate that the nice-looking old stuff has to go; when you're living in environments like that, something new that works properly can be a blessing.

I remember one of the apartment buildings I lived in, back in 1980-82 had a toilet with a tank high up on the wall. As a five-year-old I loved it. But my mom noticed that the tank was coming loose from the plaster and she was afraid it was going to fall down some day.

She pestered the landlord enough that he finally came and replaced it with a modern toilet that didn't look so charming....but at least there were no worries about a tank shattering on someone's head.

T
Well, that elevator worked... besides, he lives on the second floor, not the fifth or something like that!
I had a few arguments with that family over a lot more serious topics, so I'm a bit sensitive. And no, I wouldn't have attacked him... I was just a bit angry.
Most of the tenants are really sad to see the elevator go!

T
The metal cage stayed, the elevator is gone. New one has steel doors that go all the way up to the ceiling and block all light to the stairs.

The basement has been rewired. Honestly, it looks almost as scary as the old wiring, or at least just plain sloppy. Drunk looking conduit (PVC), sometimes no separate clamps for the conduit, just ty-wrap it to the old one next to it... long exposed cable runs, sometimes ty-wrapped to rebar... everything.
Besides someone stole the old stairway fixtures (each worth $100 I guess).

P
Checking through this thread, I just realized that not all of the image links got moved to the ECN server.

So with apologies from ECN mods to anyone who was having trouble with Photobucket links, and a few months late, if you now start back at the top of the thread you should be able to see everything.

T
Oh, thanks!
If I manage I'll take pictures of the new wiring this weekend (already started but my memory card was full).

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard