ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Cat Servant
I am speachless.

[img]https://www.electrical-contractor.net/forum/RS/550Alejo's_panel_and_pipe.jpg[/img]

[This message has been edited by renosteinke (edited 10-08-2006).]

E
e57 Offline
Sometimes you have to stand back, and look at things like this with an objective eye.... The "Original" installation is pretty cear in this case was done by a professional, it may not have been pretty....

Hovever, it is clear that this was modified around the time someone decided to Shot-Crete?" this wall. A little yank and mash work I think.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
C
That looks like it was installed back in the late 1800's.

Peter
E
Gotta love the strapless pipe going across the subpanel there, looks like the coupling on top has had enough.

Is that a 5S box to the above left of the meter? I'm inclined to agree with Mark on this one... Looks like this might've been a halfway compliant install and then..... [Linked Image]

Cat Servant
The box that you can barely see- between the meter and the open coupling, just a bit higher- is a 4-square box with an ordinary blank cover.

As best as I can tell, the original panel was in the large box under the meter. There are numerous pipes that exit this box that you cannot see, as the entire wall has had an inch of plaster / stucco applied over the brick base. That 4-sq was there before the plaster was applied.

For some unknown reason, in the murky past, this panel was gutted, and a new panel installed next to it. This is the panel with all the crappy pipe coming from it. The "new" panel, btw, is a Zinsco. The original panel is nothing but a junction box now.

You can see a number of pipes added to this new box. Almost without exception, these pipes were run completely without support. There is also, in these runs, what seems to be an avoidance of the use of LB's, proper offsets, or holes drilled.

So, I rather suspect that much of this was done by some handy sort, who had never used a bender before, and had no idea as to the materials available. This being a transient motel, said person was likely without a car, and had to make do with whatever the manager felt like providing.

Link Copied to Clipboard