ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 216 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Ah yes, plug-in GFI testers aren't usually sold in the DIY stores here, but the types with three lights to indicate possible wiring errors are common. I've lost count of the number of times I've tried to explain their limitations to people. One guy was panicking because his unit showed "line/earth reversed" in his RV and he thought the chassis was energized. Turned out it was just a broken neutral on the hook up, but because he had appliances connected in the vehicle, obviously the neutral to the tester was at 240V. But I digress....

The water test is certainly a "quick and dirty" method, but as you say, there are too many variables for it to be taken as evidence that the GFI will properly trip at 6mA. We have many old pressed steel and cast irons bathtubs here. If the tub is properly bonded, dropping a hot wire into the water is probably going to result in much more than 6 or 7mA.

The water in my area is so hard and full of minerals that I could easily get over an amp to flow through it without any trouble, so it would be no guarantee that the GFI would trip at the required 6mA level (or 30mA or whatever).

For my money, if the GFI's own test button trips it, I think there's little cause for concern. If we really need some form an external verification, then running a long wire to pick up a ground is the only practical way I can see to achieve it.

As you said though, at least in the case we're looking at the GFI won't trip so the homeowner/inspector should call in someone with the necessary knowledge to test the GFI another way.

E
Bill,

I've been using a "known ground". This isn't elegant, doesn't fit on the belt well, but this allows me to move on when I must verify GFI performance in 2-wire settings, knowing that the GFI works to spec.

I'll bring in a 50 or 100 foot cord from the truck, the one that is the best and I know is in great shape. I'll locate the laundry, kitchen, bath, 120 V AC or other newer hardwired grounded receptacle, plug in the cord and run it to the GFIs to be tested.

I'll put an adapter on the end of the GFI tester (the 3-prong cord cap to 2-wire receptacle adapter) and I use a bannana plug / alligator jumper to go from the cord ground to adapter.

Al

Al Hildenbrand
T
Hi.

Not sure if this will help any, but here's some information from CodeCheck about the possible DANGER of using a "DIY" tester:
http://www.codecheck.com/gfci_testing.htm

This link points to a PDF file for a device that has a retractable ground prong--not sure if that would still be able to simulate what is needed to "trip" the GFCI as was mentioned in this thread.
http://mitchellinstrument.com/c6046.pdf

P. S. I'm new to the forum...the bare wire into the sink part seemd a bit, um, shocking to me ;-)

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard