ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 374 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
I
iwire Offline OP
It's bothering me to much, I think I will order a set of stacker's (Fig 4)

[Linked Image from ebusiness.ilsco.com]

I just don't like how the present ones look, even if they function.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Bob:
Yes, GE response to inquiries leaves a bad taste with me also. USED to be good; last five years it's brutal.

The stackers on the center of the buss with two bolts, IMHO OK.

Personally, I would use all the bolt holes on the buss; perhaps a six barrel, six bolt?

Again, just my personal choice, and nothing against your install.

John

John
S
Nice job for sure.
But am I lookin at it backwards.I thought it would be phased left to right not right to left.

E
e57 Offline
Bob - Oohh Ho Ya! Nice work!

The only thing I would worry about is the gutter on the right. Although sizable, it does have an abundant amount of conductor in it. Then they seem to 90 back, and flex out to the next enclosure. Once this thing has been humming for a few years one conductor might find a sharp screw or something.... I might have consisdered taking it over or under inside the trany to the back and out, but then again, that is a lot of wire to reach back there for.... [Linked Image]

Anyway.... Exceptional work! Other than that I would not worry so much about the lugs. If listed (the lugs) for that amount and size of conductor, with that hole pattern with a contact patch to the buss equaling or exceeding the cross-section of the intended conductor. I think you would be OK. Or you might be able to find better ones, but might not take that count of conductors the same way.

Hey, looking at the Ilssco page it appears you have T4A-4's?

And a little further I think I have your baby right here: USGL-350R64 ? 4 ports at 350MCM, 6 1/2" mounting holes... http://ebusiness.ilsco.com/webapp/w...d=-1&catalogId=1&categoryId=1040

Anyway, for the record I dont like the the Trany design, not your fault, but it seems to have redundant OCP (even if only for thermal) in a tight space and it's a vaccum cleaner to boot. [Linked Image]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
R
Ron Offline
I just returned from a Square D Conference, where I joked with them about this dumb idea that GE has of using a 133% fan cooled rating to achieve the required values for a project.
They seemed nervous and told me that they didn't think it was so dumb. So look out in a few months, because even SquareD (Schneider) will have fan cooled xfmrs as a standard product. [Linked Image]
You can specifically order them without fans if speced that way.

Ron
I
iwire Offline OP
Mark, Thanks.

I might have considered taking it over or under inside the trany to the back and out, but then again, that is a lot of wire to reach back there for....

I wanted to do just that. [Linked Image] It would have been much 'cleaner'.

The problem is the coils literally touch the sides and the rear, there is no place I can enter on the rear sides. It is also very tight between the cement pad and the frame holding the coils.

I hear you on the trough, it's 12" x 12" with 16 - 600s and 4 - 4/0s. But I am not worried we measured like we where running pipe and used a hydraulic cable bender to shape the conductors to fit. There is almost no contact between the conductors and trough.

The conductors are resting on the 4" bushings of the flex and the RNC I used to line the holes into the transformer.

I have not been back to the job for a while, it still looks like it does in the pictures.

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
C
Bob, I was just thinking about this transformer. Do the shunt trip breakers actually provide overcurrent protection or are they just molded case switches? The 150kva units I installed only had one breaker and I’m pretty sure it does not provide over protection. If the parallel breakers in your installation don’t provide overcurrent protection things could get ugly if one of the breakers opened automatically, manually or if the contacts of one of them developed a higher resistance.

I also question if this type of installation meets the intent of the NEC for parallel conductors. Connection half of the conductors to one device and the other half to another device doesn’t seem right. It has always been my understanding that parallel conductors should be connected together at each end and not terminate on different devices. I know when my local utility needs to splice parallel conductors all of the conductors of each leg get connected to a single connecting block.

Curt

Curt Swartz
I
iwire Offline OP
Curt they are simply shunt trip switches, I have the same concerns about one opening without the other.

All I can say if the inspector asks is 'I don't build them, I just install them'

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
D
Bob, Kudos to you and your crew!!!!

Top shelf work.

So someone tell me, why are the fans at the bottom, and not on the top of the transformer?

How are going change them?

It makes sense to me to put them on the top, and suck the cool air off the floor, through the coils. And maybe add a filter to keep dust out. Fans would be easier to change.

Just my thoughts..

C
Bob,

That is some hack work right there. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Peter

Peter
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard