ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 506 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
I have a canon A95. I love it. 5mega pix. It has a flip lcd, great quality lots of features, It take video, speed shots and a lot more. I have found the best thing, battery life. it takes 5 AA regular batteries. they last four a long time. I have friends that have different cameras that they dont last have as long, and they say the batteries will go dead In a week with the unit off. I stored my camera a month and still took about 30 pics before they got low.

N
I have an HP Photosmart R707. It sounds like it may be what you don't want, but, I have been very pleased. It might be worth checking out.

Trumpy Offline OP
Thanks for all of your comments guys!.
Scott,
I wasn't sure if this thread should be in the General Discussion Area or not.
Like a few others here I own a 1.3MP camera,
but I would like to have one with an LCD display
The Canon unit that the local Fire Brigade has here is a great camera, but I don't have a spare NZ$3500 to part with.
Like any sort of technology, things get cheaper as the market adjusts itself and you can often get a pretty good deal.
The one thing that I am after, is a couple of good links to what half the jargon associated with digital cameras actually means?.
I'd hate to buy another lemon.
Any takers?. [Linked Image]

L
Also, isnt it true that the more mps you have the more likely you will have to resize pic's before posting them? Too many bytes or something?

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

Yes, mailing humungeous size pics is a problem, since you must e-mail to mods. A private subscriber has a limit to his server mailbox, which about 7 Mb will fill. He then can't receive any more, plus it siezes his mailbox temporarily till he downloads, so please don't!
Reducing the size of a pic is pretty straightforward, [RT M!]. My method is to work straight off the 'view' menu in the pic loader and hit mail. This automatically downsizes the pic to say 50 Kb, [ ample for posts clarity ], plus it sets up the Outlook Express page ready to mail. For a series of pics I multiple e-mail, rather than faffing about creating files, finding them, resizing and collating before mailing.
I now only use the camera software to store pics. Creating files is just extra work, plus I cannot yet fathom the stupid Microsoft hierarchy to find them again later!

BTW, we had this exact same thread December 2005 [F1 006602] for reference others comments. Still got my Casio QVR51* (c. US $500.).
5Mpix. No problems at all, it's a lovely little camera, over 50 shots on the card, good battery endurance and even an idiot can follow the load and handle software, [ and I do!] [Linked Image].

Alan

ps. *It has optical zoom, and runs short video if you want to.

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 09-09-2006).]

Wood work but can't!
Trumpy Offline OP
Dave T:
Just how many megpix can you post?
As far as sending us Moderators pics goes, I'd say the larger the better (within reason of course).
Each Moderator has their own (I could be wrong here too) sizing for pics as posted in this area.

The size of the picture we can post isn't really much of an issue.
More a case of what fits the page and can be loaded quickly enough to not keep the dial up connected folks waiting forever.

For example HERE'S a copy of Adam (Rewired's) burning capacitor as it was sent.
This is only a 2048 X 1536 pixel image, and is only 673KB. When viewed at only 37% of its size, it fills nearly the whole screen on my computer.

Obviously this would not be practical, so the image must be edited some. In its form on the thread it goes with, it's only 550 pixels wide.

(Alan, my mailbox is 2 GB, and I'm only up to about 12% useage. Don't worry about me hitting the high water mark for a while [Linked Image] We prefer larger photos to smaller ones.)

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 09-09-2006).]

Mike,

I have the Minolta Dimage A1 (5 MP) and my Brother has the A2 (8 MP). We're both very happy with them. I especially like the viewfinder options where you can hold the Camera down low or up high and tilt the screen up or down as needed.

Minolta Dimage A1

Bill

Bill
S
May I suggest a Panasonic TZ1.

small and compact, with 10x zoom, 5 mega pixel (its all you really need), Image stabilizer, 2.5" high resolution screen.

Easy to use, quality made, and takes great pics.

If you can live without a viewfinder (lots of cameras are shunning this), and don't mind using a proprietary battery, then I highly suggest this camera.
{How about a link that doesn't stretch the page out?}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 12-11-2006).]

T
I've been very happy with my Canon A95.

5MP, uses CF memory cards and AA batteries.

The CF cards were important as I have lots of them, and adapters to use them in any PCMCIA slot.

AA batteries are important as I didn't want to get stuck with a dead NiCd or NiMH battery, and no way to charge it.

Other things I like include the swiveling screen, which can go in almost any direction, and can be shielded from damage when not in use.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard