ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#124186 08/31/06 09:21 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Photos and information submitted by napervillesoundtech:

Hello,
The town I live in has an annual giant yard sale.
People can donate stuff, and the money goes to charity. It is a great event and there
are usually some great things to get.

This year's finds included a small box
of random electrical stuff for $1.00:

[Linked Image]

In the box were 2 Hubbell
plugs, which is why I bought it:

[Linked Image]

Also in the box was a very
old Hubbell rubber end that seemed like something you probably can't get at
your local Home Depot, it is not polarized:

[Linked Image]

There was also a
giant soldering iron in the box, it probably would have been for fixing leaded glass. I just thought it was kinda neat:

[Linked Image]

-Ben

Thanks Ben!. [Linked Image]

{Message edited to change intro} [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 08-31-2006).]

W
That soldering iron is a neat find. Also what is that stainless steel wall plate ? Looks like an LED.

[This message has been edited by Wizzie Electric (edited 08-31-2006).]

Thanks.
M
My dad taught me how to solder about 45 years ago, using one of those huge irons. We used to set it on a brick, to keep from setting fire to anything nearby. Really brings back memories.

Nice finds there. Is that a kellems grip on that Hubbell female plug on the left side?

Mike (mamills)

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 08-31-2006).]

P
mamills - that's crazy, I used to use a brick to set my iron on. At the time, it was all I could afford as I was 10 and it took me a months allowance just to get the iron, solder, and a few components. I just got the brick from the abandoned house next to mine.

I collect old electrical stuff. My favorite was when I volunteered for the city, we transformed an old office building into a haunted house. We basically demoed the whole thing. The city electrician decided to run a few circuits, all up high and out of the childnren's reach. We have exactly enough outlets, with extra ones in case we need, which are not hooked up.

I walked out of there with so many crazy and expensive things, like 20A 120V IG twist locks, old punchdown blocks for phones, about 70 feet of 50 conductor telephone cable, a buck-boost transformer, exit signs (though not cool ones like the one posted in Nostalgia), 50+ feet of plugmold, baseboard heaters, panic buttons, alarms, and a bunch of other odds and ends. It's all in excellent condition because the building was rewired a year or so before the business closed down, it was in the 1980's when it closed. I ended up selling some of the stock on ebay, but I kept a few twist-locks for some reason. I also kept all the plates, because they had the old plasic plates with a design, rather than just smooth like nowadays.

S
Wow Ben, nice find.

The little cord-end cube taps are great for making a "jumper lead" for plugging wall warts into a powerstrip.

That cord switch might get some $ on E-bay.

Whatcha gonna do with the rest of the stuff?

L
I'll give you a buck and shipping for the soldering iron and you will be in the plus column in the ledger. Rod

N
I used to do a giant haunted house in my front yard each halloween. I have a friend who would bring one of those silent diesel generators and put it in my backyard. we would then run 2 temporary 60 amp panels. one for the giant sound system, and one for lights and fog boilers. It was pretty cool.

That is a kellems grip on the one plug. The plug itself isn't in very good shape, but, those grips are pretty nice. I have them on most of the nicer power cables I use with my PA system. That stainless steel panel is labeled "alarm" and "simplex". It is actually a small 120 volt neon lamp.

As far as that Iron goes, its pretty much up for grabs. send an email to benwiersum at hotmail dot com and we'll talk.

[This message has been edited by napervillesoundtech (edited 08-31-2006).]

Trumpy Offline OP
Ben,
Sorry mate,
It's been a while since I've had an e-mail from you, with pics.
I couldn't remember your username. [Linked Image]
My fault.

T
Hey, where did you get my soldering iron??? [Linked Image]

Seriously, mine is pretty similar, only it has a black rubber cord and a Europan plug. Bought it for close to nothing at a flea market (something like 50 cents IIRC). 85W... nice beast! Soldering #16 wire works like a charm.

And that Gem tap to the right... I know a guy who plugged something like that into two 3 way extension cords (#18 SPT-I) and left i on the carpet in his bed room... actually never caught fire or killed anyone...

R
FABULOUS !!

What a great bargain you got there.

Very interesing plugs.

Did the soldering iron work ?

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.

Link Copied to Clipboard