ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 264 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#124042 07/15/06 05:20 AM
Scott35 Online Happy OP
Broom Pusher and
***"Finding Flying Splices***

Here are some pictures of a few cute things found in a House.

The pictures were taken, and findings were made, by the EC I am currently performing Commercial / Industrial Electrical System Design / Build Engineering with.

He thought these would be humorous enough to post here at ECN!!!

[Linked Image]

Image #1: Flying Splice in an existing Wall - below an existing Outlet.

[Linked Image]

Image #2: 4s Box makeup fiasco! (in an accessible Attic)

[Linked Image]

Image #3: Flying Splices in the same Attic.

[Linked Image]

Image #4: Another Flying Splice in the Attic - notice the "Old NM Cable Meets New NM Cable" scenario!

Scott35

posted 07.15.2006 @ 01:53:00
local = x:\elect_eng02\ECNusers\upload\Cimg001.jpg thru Cimg004.jpg

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#124043 07/15/06 04:37 PM
Cat Servant
I am afraid I know exactly where I could find inside-the-wall "flying splices!"

I used to have a certain apartment complex as a customer for any electrical work they might have wanted. The place was bought by a developer, who is in the process of converting these apartments into condos. As you might guess, the insides are getting gutted, and made all pretty for prospective purchasers.

I was called one day, when a receptacle in a kitchen wall was in the way of the new cabinets. Since pipe was used, and the pipe contained wires going to sundry other places, I was fairly limited in to where I could move the box- without doing lots of work. And they wanted this "Pronto!" (Seems their usual guy was out sick that day).
On completion, the foreman was not happy with my junction box being visible. I got the distinct feeling that he wanted the box buried in the wall.

So- I would not at all be surpriced if, in the other conversions, the splices and junction boxes are so buried. Heck, even mine might nave been, after I left!

Of course, my explanation of code, and servicing issues, made no impression- having everything fast, cheap, and pretty clearly were the only things that mattered.

#124044 07/15/06 05:13 PM
D
I saw a worker for a remodeling contractor saw through a knob and tube wire, the lights in part of the hallway went of, stripped the cut ends, twisted them back together, placed some duct tape over the spice and finish repairng the wall. Out of sight, out of mind is the name of the game. All is fair if you don't get caught.

Link Copied to Clipboard