ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Scott35 Online Happy OP
Broom Pusher and
Hi all;

Wanted to get some input from memebers as to your experiences with Energy Management Controllers [EMCs], either being installed new by you, serviced by you, or upgraded/changed out by you. Hopefully, this will start a nice thread on the subject.

I have experienced different faults and problems with a few different types, plus have built some simple, yet relable ones myself for a few projects.

Some were Andover, some from custom vendors.

Problems began when the EMC would fail somehow, then a service company would be called in to try to fix the problem. After some time, the problems would compound beyond belief, so we would be called in to re-design a new system. I had the designing tasks and coordination of control equipment, but each site was different.

These were added to many of our clients sites during an Energy Conservation upgrade. They are somewhat required in California, where the Energy Conservation Code [AKA Title 24, part 6] is inforced on any new, remodel or TI Commercial projects. Doesn't have to be a real complex system everytime, but the basics are to allow for occupancy level lighting, bi-level lighting, auto shut off for interior lighting with a manual 2 hour override, along with exterior lighting being controlled via either a photocell or Electronic astro timeswitch.

I am looking for any stories, situations, examples of custom designing and the like, to get some outside feedback on the subject.

Thanks in advance!!

Scott. "S.E.T."

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Scott35 Online Happy OP
Broom Pusher and
Darn, got no feedback on this subject! [Linked Image]
I'll try something else.

Scott.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Scott, [Linked Image]

We know you had the Flu and didn't want to hit you with too much. (Kidding) I have a friend that has had experience with systems used in Retail stores and have been trying to get him in here to make some comments. - He tried once, typed up this long post and (forgot to register) ended up losing it. Anyway, He might have some opinions for you.

I, myself do not really have any experience with the lighting aspect of Energy Management. I did, however have some experience some time ago with HVAC controls.
That's a different subject.

Bill

Bill
Scott35 Online Happy OP
Broom Pusher and
Bill;

Thanks for the reply.

The EMC's I am referring to would also have HVAC controlling capabilities. Anything you or your friend can post will be greatly appreciated. [Linked Image]

I am feeling much better as of today, so I guess it's back to posting !!!!

Scott.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Scott,

The ones I installed consisted of Electronic thermostats, a communications loop to all thermostats in a building and then to a telephone line which connected to a computer terminal in the office. there were 5 buildings connected like this. Sensors & relays in units I installed every inch of it (in a past life as a Maintenance Mechanic) It was a Honeywell system - it seemed pretty adequate for control and even some diagnostics. The only thing that was not used were the fresh air dampers, why? I dunno. The Mechanical contractor had lost or damaged much of the operating equip. as I remember.

Bill
S
Bill & Scott;
I was on a crew that wired a large Dept. store's lights, heat, ac, signs, even cash registers. All these circuits looped thru a panel full of soleniods that were activated via phone by the computer at the chain's central office.I don't think it was energy management in terms of conservation...if that's what the term means.

Sparky,

It sounds like it was Energy management. This is the area that my friend has had experience with, and I only, by knowing it was there. The stores have different lighting levels for different times of day or night. There would typically be a small lighting and A/C - Heating scheme that remained on 24/7 and then a short time before opening lighting levels would change to allow clerks (associates is proper I believe) to see to stock shelves, clean etc. At opening time Light levels come up full, Lighted Display cases and all signage comes on with A/C & Heat. And then at closing the process gets reversed.

As a side note:
This Retail chain recently went out of business and pieces of the stores were liquidated. I was involved in dismantling several stores (Electrically) to get back to Bare walls and ceiling. We did this process carefully and thouroughly, making sure to cap and cover everything after removed. This was on a by the hour basis. The liquidator's Home office did not appreciate this "unnecesary" expense and tried to subvert it at the end and even withholding payment. Needless to say, in all the other stores things were ripped out, usually by the purchaser at times when power was not "up" and therefore leaving a hazard to be met when things turned back on. I don't see how the individual Landlords allowed this, but it happened.

Bill
S
Geeez....I really dislike working for those types that see our trade as a necessary evil, especially when it's their _____we could be saving..........

S
People are inquiring as to the cost of operating any given electrical installation more often these days. I think we are at 13-14 cents a KW hour here now...I guess "Energy Management" could be the trade's next buzz word, even in the residential market

Sparky,

By me (Long Island) they've been giving instant rebates on Motion Detectors ($15 on a $14.99 fixture!) Flourescent Bulbs & Fixtures. Right at the register - no Mail-in coupons. The Utility is sponsoring it.

Bill
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard