ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
I'd like to -again- post a pic especially for the guys who are new to residential work.

Let's forget, for the moment, the silliness of placing a receptacle behind a door. I'd like you to note that one recep has "ground up" while the other is "ground down." Care to guess why this was done?

- renosteinke
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I
Politely asked to keep quiet. [Linked Image]

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 04-10-2006).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
S
To plug in a window A/C cord?

S
I agree with iwire, it's a switched outlet.

Thanks
Steve
B
I personally like the idea of flipping switched receptacles; in theory it seems like it would be pretty easy for people to remember that the upside down receptacles are controlled by switches. In practice, the majority of what I hear is: "Whoever put that outlet in doesn't know what they're doing! It's upside down and it doesn't even work!" [Linked Image]

-John

I
Probably has to do with an angle plug appliance cord that was/will be plugged into it. I personally flipped the receptacle behind my fridge so the cord comes down from the receptacle rather than straight up. I've noticed that most angle plug cords point down when the receptacle is mounted ground down, yet fridges for the most part point up when the receptacles are ground down. (The way that they are supposed to be.)

Runs for cover and hides. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by IanR (edited 04-10-2006).]

Cat Servant
Bob was quite right...I just asked him to let some of the newer guys take a shot at this first! Thanks, Bob!

I posted it because the idea of flipping the switched receptacle is one of those "trade practices" that almost everyone learns as an apprentice, but is not mentioned in any code book,or DIY manual I've ever seen.

Besides the "it don't work" cmplaint Big John mentioned, I have seen instances where the switched half was fed from a different circuit than the other half- and some maintenance guy, not "in on the secret" just replaced the "non working" receptacle ....with spectacular results when the switch was later flipped!

This, in turn, brins us to point #2: it never hurts to treat every wire as if it were hot- even if you're pretty sure it's dead. There just might be a switch somewhere....

L
Keeping with the flipped receptacles topic, how many of you put the neutral on the top when mounting a receptacle sideways?

In both states Ive worked in (NJ and FL) I have never seen switched receptacles placed ground up.

[This message has been edited by LoneGunman (edited 04-10-2006).]

T
>>how many of you put the neutral on the top when mounting a receptacle sideways?<<

I do.. it't the way I was taught way back when and I agreed with the rationale behind it and still do, and its just shop practice where I work anyway..

S
I usually flip the recp when its a ac. Im still a little new to residential work and when asked why I flipped it i said because the cord on the ac is upside down. He said ok. Just like the other gentleman said he flips them when its a switched outlet. Im usually in the basement stapleing thats why i usually dont see the recps when he flips them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard