ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Building on a thread we recently had in the "General" forum....do you think this set of outside stairs needs a light- or switches top & bottom?

- renosteinke
[Linked Image]

A
not a 3 way system but maybe a coach light or motion detector (for saftey reasons)

JBIELECTRIC EAST MEADOW NY
I'm with Alan's suggestion of a motion detector.
Saves fumbling around in the dark for a switch.
And depending what is around the corner, I'd suggest looping a slave fitting off of the motion detector for the section of walkway around the other side, with a generous off delay to make sure that no-one is left in the dark.

I
Is the question do we think it needs lighting outlet or is the question does the NEC require a lighting outlet?

I ask because we seem to have trouble separating what we think is 'right' from what is actually required. [Linked Image]

In my opinion the NEC does not specifically require lighting for these exterior stairs.

Perhaps we could stretch 210.70(A)(2)(b) that requires illumination on the exterior side of outdoor entrances or exits with grade level access to this set of stairs assuming their is a door into the house somewhere at the top of these stairs.

But if we say 210.70(A)(2)(b) requires us to light these stairs where exactly would 210.70(A)(2)(b) stop?

At the bottom of the stairs?

At the end of the walk?

At the street?

In the end some amount of common sense needs to used.

However as I said I do not believe the NEC requires these stairs o be illuminated.

Keep in mind minimum building codes may require lighting here. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
K
We don't have to wait until the local code orders us to something sensible. Those stairs could definitely use a light ( is that triangular thing on the wall a light? )

In this case convincing the customer to pay extra for a stair light would be easy. Anyone can see that you could break your neck trying to negotiate those stairs in total darkness.

N
The triangular thing liiks like the exit point for the range hood or clothes dryer.
/mike

Cat Servant
N1, you are correct; that is the vent for the range hood.

As for "around the corner;" there is a full concrete deck, with three entrances and a variety of lights. As arranged, though, the only 'light' that has a chance of reaching the stairs is whatever spills out of that window.

H
Illumination of these exterior stairs are required by the building code. The 2003 IRC sect. R-303.6 says "Exterior stairways shall be provided with an artificial light source located in the immediate vicinity of the top landing of the stairway."
R-603.6.1 says "the illumination of exterior stairways shall be controlled from inside the dwelling."
EXCEPTION: "lights that are continuously illuminated or automatically controlled."

It's like smoke detectors. Required by the building code for electricians to install.

I
You mean may be required by building codes. [Linked Image]

Not everyone works under the same building codes.

That said I bet most building codes or minimum habitation rules will require a light.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
H
iwire...you got me there. In my jurisdiction the IRC is code for residential. It is code in Virginia. At least for today!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard