ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 225 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#123218 03/14/06 03:58 PM
R
Yep as already said by the others It's a part of a telecom wireless system I think.

Here in Auckland we have attachements to SL poles too which I will take some photo's of in the next couple of weeks.

Regards Ray (RODALCO)

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
#123219 03/14/06 06:19 PM
S
Yeah, I remember seeing them back in 1998/99 on the streetlights down at One Chase Manhattan Plaza - the office tower where I work.

It's in the Fiancial District neighborhood in Manhattan. Thanks Harold!!!! [Linked Image]

I always figured they were either for emergency services radio services, or some type of environmental testing/measuring system. Haven't seen those boxes in years though.

#123220 03/14/06 09:46 PM
H
The only reason I knew of these pieces of equipment, was the Administrator of the town I worked for asked me if it falls under my jurisdiction. Being a utility, I told the admin. no, not my job. Other than that, I know little of the workings of the machine. I do look for them whenever I travel around now.

#123221 03/15/06 06:26 PM
T
From the Curent Owners Web Site

Is this the same Ricochet service I heard of once before?
Yes, under previous ownership, the Ricochet service was marketed and for a brief time was operational in 21 cities in the U.S. It is now under new ownership and management

TECHNOLOGY
What is Ricochet Micro Cellular Data Network?
The Ricochet Micro Cellular Data Network (MCDN) is the data-only network built by Ricochet Networks, Inc. Ricochet is the fastest wireless data network anywhere in the world. The Ricochet MCDN architecture is based on a digital packet-switched network that uses spread-spectrum radio frequency transmission, a mesh network architecture and standard Internet Protocol.

Ricochet services operate over a traditional cellular network?
No. The Ricochet Micro Cellular Data Network. MCDN is built specifically for wireless packet data transmission and does not carry wireless voice traffic. Traditional cellular networks route all communication through base stations. Ricochet is different in that it has no base stations, and instead uses devices called intelligent micro cell radios. These are radio transceivers, about the size of a shoebox, that are usually mounted on streetlights and utility poles. The micro cell radios are often referred to as "pole top radios". In areas served by the Ricochet network, pole top radios are installed every quarter to half mile in a checkerboard pattern.

What elements comprise the Ricochet Network?
Wireless modems, intelligent routing Micro Cell radios "pole top" radios typically mounted on utility poles, Wired Access Points (WAPs) and Network Interconnect Facilities (NIFs). The basic structure of the Ricochet network consists of pole top radios placed every quarter to half mile in a checkerboard pattern. This "mesh" architecture routes data traffic between the modems, radios and WAPs. WAPs connect to the Ricochet NIF and on to the Internet via high-speed circuits, such as a T1. The network's high-density design ensures secure, efficient data transmission and better indoor penetration of the radio signals.

What spectrum does Ricochet use?
Ricochet communicates across two bands of regulated, unlicensed spectrum: the 900 MHz band between the user modem and the pole top radio, and the 2.4 GHz band between the radio and WAP. Each pole top radio uses multiple frequency-hopping channels within these two bands and a randomly selected hopping sequence, providing users with optimal signal strength and secure, reliable connections virtually unaffected by interference. This enables multiple subscribers to use the network simultaneously and optimizes use of a given band of frequencies because many more radio transmissions can take place simultaneously. It is also extremely robust and will easily manage interference and penetrate obstacles.

How long has the Ricochet technology been available?
The Ricochet technology was first developed in 1985 as a remote meter reading technology called Utilinet®. In 1994, the Ricochet network was launched at 28.8 kbps. In July of 2000, the higher-speed Ricochet service at 128 kbps was launched.

How reliable is the Ricochet network?
Since it has been designed expressly for data, the Ricochet network enjoys high throughput, extremely low Bit Error Rate (BER), instantaneous handoff, and complete reliability.

On 9/11/01 After Metricom want bankrupt
new york city had the Metricom employees reactivate the pole-top network for Police/Fire departments

[This message has been edited by tester22 (edited 03-15-2006).]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard