ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 647 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Cat Servant
I like the way this discusion is going! Keep those comments coming.

I took the pic to emphasize the "dough rolling" area of the island. There is, in fact, quite a space at the far end of the counter ... in fact, the cabinetry you can almost see in the background is the refrigerator door!

I like the idea for attaching plugmold to the lip of the counter. I'm not sure ther is room on this one...there isn't much overhang...but it sure would be nice if the counter makers would work a bit with the electricians here! Unfortunately, unless the AHJ starts rejecting countertops, that's not likely to happen!

I agree that there at least ought to be another receptacle on that backsplash, near the end.

As for the colour of the devices...as luck would have it, another job of mine has an expensive metallic green paint on the walls; the dark brown of the trim works out really well. Heck, even black would be an improvement in my eyes! But- what the customer wants, the customer gets!

H
Reno,

It's the cabinetmakers you need to talk with. In the past 7 or 8 years, I've had to ask my cabinet makers to "hold the doors down" on the island cabinets when they are full-overlay. This allows me to install the plug mold below the countertop. I usually find a can of spray paint thats very close to the cabinets, remove the plug mold cover, and paint the metal cover. My customers love it. It is hardly detectable when done.

G
Going back to what mweaver said, 210.52(c)(2) says "at least" one receptacle in the counter area and does not exempt the rest of the counter from other measurement requirements. Who would only put 1 receptacle on that huge chunk of counter?

Fellows, please don't arrange receptacles in the panels. As HLCb' says, if the cabinetmaker is informed in time, he can arrange wider rails or stiles to accomodate stuff, or even rout pockets to set-back items so they look planned. I'd go with some symmetry in layout, as off-center arrangements always jar the eye. Brass always looks good with any timber. You can get brass Modern, Victorian Edwardian or Georgian receptacles in the UK. [ Georgian? -that's the 1820s! ], - in fact many metal finishes to complement cabinet styles are on the market, along with wood, [ pine, oak, beech etc. ]. Are these matching-type receptacles not available in the US?
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk

- gives a taster - click on Browse/Sales- switches /sockets

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 03-10-2006).]

Wood work but can't!
Cat Servant
Yes, Alan, it sure would be nice if cabinetmakers spoke to electricians once in a while!

I think I know how that receptacle came to be placed where it is in the cabinet panel.
The base there is actually two cabinets placed back-to-back. Both cabinets contain drawers. The receptacle was placed as far back as possible, so as to allow the drawers to operate.

E
I think the fact that this is an island is getting lost in some way here. You are only required to have one receptacle to the left of the sink and one to the right. That is all. There are no other requirements to be met. It would not matter if that area were 10x10 you would not be required to add more receptacles.

M
Finally, someone else (Electricmanscott) sees what I see.

This is an 'L' shaped island broken into two seperate spaces by the installation of the sink and only requires two receptacles, one at each side of the sink. No other code rules factor into this island space made into seperate spaces by the sink.

Cat Servant
210.52(C)

By golly, you guys are correct...there is no "2 Ft rule" for kitchen islands.

I had missed that distinction- shame on me!

G
I read it over and over and didn't see it. Now I do. Thanks.

Y
The 2' rule used to apply to islands and peninsulas, but they changed it. Was it '96 or '99? I can't remember, and I don't feel like looking it up. Bottom line, an island only needs one receptacle.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard