ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
This new upscale home has recessed lights directly above the shower and the tub. However, there is also a ceiling at least ten feet high. Would you require the light trims to be of the enclosed "shower" type?

- renosteinke
[Linked Image]

Yes. Even if the Code is not clear on the point, it is very likely for water splash from the shower to hit the hot bulb and break it, with some very unpleasant results for the person under it.

Stupid should be painful.
Reno, thats gotta be the worst grouting I ever saw. And 10 ft. is well within range of a showerspray.

Alan

Wood work but can't!
D
My light fixture is 3' from the shower and it still gets a lot of moisture from the hot water. One above, regardless of ceiling height, would need a shower trim.

Cat Servant
Alan, I should have explained....the shower has not had tile set as yet, nor has the shower pan been formed. The home is still under construction; the floors haven't been done, either.

H
I think that a shower trim would be the best thing for a light however sec. 410.4(D) (2002) NEC says...8' vertical from the top of the bath tub rim or shower stall threshold. So that means in my eyes that this install might be in OK as per the NEC.

Cat Servant
Just for the sake of this discussion...

1) Is there any other area of the NEC that discuss lights above, say, tubs? When does the light have to be enclosed, or GFI protected?

and

2) Would replacing the reflector bulb with an outdoor "PAR" bulb meet the requirements?

G
I believe that style baffle and a regular R-30 are rated for damp locations.

As for the shower spray issue, I believe it would depend on what type of shower head is installed, as to whether or not it would be subject to shower spray.
  • An overhead rain-shower-whiz-bang head sprays straight down, and is not likely to be replaced with a wand.
  • If a wand is present at the final inspection, I would say an inspector would be very justified in failing this installation.
  • If it were a regular shower head seen in every motel across the US (and perhaps points abroad), then it should pass as is.

For me, I always install a shower can over a shower, anticipating a wand. But, I have a wand and can't picture showering without one. [Linked Image]

-George
H
Reno,
Lightolier makes an open reflector (1184WH)that is rated for a wet location with a Par 38-75watt bulb. So I don't think it needs to be enclosed...just rated for a wet location.

K
Just tell the customer that the light needs to be waterproof and err on the safe side. What would the price difference be anyway ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard