ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I
iwire Offline OP
Here are some pictures of an EBU and the battery that goes with it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am interested in what others think here.

I do not believe the use of a proper size replacement battery from another maker voids anything.

I do notice that the sticker placed on the battery conveniently covers the voltage and amp hour rating.

While on the subject of voltage can anyone tell me the output voltage and wattage of this unit?

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
P
Looks like it's 16W / 6V.
http://niles4.ebiz.grainger.com/images/catalog/395/756.pdf

And why on earth couldn't Lithonia have stuck their label on the back on the battery so it doesn't obscure the markings?

I
iwire Offline OP
Paul that is my point. [Linked Image]

Lithonia intentionally covered the markings and left the units label vague except for some warnings about voiding the listing and warranty as a sales tool.

I know I can get that battery cheaper from a local battery shop than from Lithonia.

It is obvious that battery was not 'custom made' for that unit so to say the listing and warranty will be void is a load of ....

Notice the second caution on the units label.

Than look for the units rated output. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
B
Operates installed lamps for 90 min.
What a bunch of garbage. So apparently it's output is Operating-Lamps? Is that an English or SI unit of measure? Is it going to replace the Watt? [Linked Image]

-John

R
Yep think thats a load of you know what.. I have NEVER had anyone when I worked at the supplier want a battery for an emergi-pack from the factory...
Just for kicks though " warrenty" is spelled wrong... is it not spelled
"Warranty"?

L
The label covering the factory markings is not important for operation. As long as you match the voltage, either 6 or 12, a new battery will have at least the same AH rating. A voltmeter on the battery will tell you the voltage.

The UL and warranty concerns matter only as far as they matter to whom they matter. On a warranty claim, Lithonia has the edge, as it's their nickel. Between us, I'd use a cheaper replacement if it was my nickel.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
R
I can't imagine the warrantee lasting longer than the battery!!!!
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
I
iwire Offline OP
Don I had not thought of that angle but I am sure you are correct. [Linked Image]

My real problem with this is using the UL listing as a bat.

They did not even tell us the wattage and voltage of the installed lamps, their part number.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
Cat Servant
Iwire, I agree. One thing we must all understand: ONLY UL gets to speak for UL. Not you, me, the AHJ, Lithonia, or anyone else.

A listing will not be voided if listed, or classified, or recognised, components are used. Whetehr the part is called one thing or another depends on the specifice of the part.

Even if a differing part is used, according to UL, the listing is not actually "voided." It simply enters the "we don't know" category. That is, UL cannot itself say the listing was voided without evaluating the modification.

S
If it is being used as an emergency luminaire as required by the building code, then I would require a replacement part as spec'd by manufacturer.

I understand your point Bob, and practically I agree. My job requires I look down the road to "what if someone can't see to get out of a building?"

I would not want my name on the permit approving something other than a spec'd replacement part.Especially when the forensics team finds out and it goes to court.

Then again, we don't require permits to replace luminaire batteries.

Larry LeVoir
Inspector
City of Irvine, CA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard