ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 408 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#122703 01/04/06 08:31 PM
S
Very nice looking panels. I want to start takings pics of my work but the fella's at work all think I'm a bit off my rocker for wanting to do that. Whatever...

The one thing I don't understand is this, why do the conductors coming through the "donuts" (in pic #3) have to be derated? What article prohibits this? I looked at 310.15 (B)(2)(A).

By the way, very nice 'workmanlike' looking panels.

#122704 01/04/06 09:43 PM
T
QO Panelboards
Color-coding several inches
Tie wraps
No messy wire loops
Wire numbering

Grade A Bob

Dave

#122705 01/05/06 08:46 AM
I
iwire Offline OP
Thanks all!

Just George

Although, were I to nit pick, I would say you should pick either curved or straight; having the left bank elegantly curved and the right side hung up straight in the zip ties

Yeah I agree it is kind of strange that I did each side different.

I have to say, I'm a little surprised at the lack of loops in the feeders

It would be rare that I would leave a loop in the feeders. And once you get up above 3/0 CU loops are all but imposable in the space provided.

sierra electrician

Bob, in Pics #1 & #2 you used bond bushings at your service feeders and in Pic #3 a plastic bushing.

None of these are services, my normal choice would be plastic bushings.

The customers specifications required the bonding bushings on the side by side panels.

Doesen't the egc have to run continious through the bond bushing to the Gnd bar?

It does not have to but that would be the 'normal' way. I so seldom use bonding bushings I forgot to run the EGC through it before cutting it.

So you bagged me on that one. [Linked Image]

yaktx

What good does it do to cluster the heavy loads in one place? If you have two large loads on the same stab, doesn't that double the heating on that particular stab?

Interesting point, I agree.

I say, run the heavy loads down one side of the panel (say, the left side), and the light loads down the other, or distribute the load in some other way.

I have been toying with that in my head as well, I think it makes the most sense electrically but it will look very unconventional.

Maybe I will try that out next time.

I also question the value of perfectly-squared conductors. I've seen too many installers who will commit any atrocity as long as it's outside a panel, but obsess over perfect neatness inside.

Another good point, I could have made these panels neater, but why?

I think we need keep a balance between time spent making the panel obsessively neat and the costs vs benefits to the customer.

My major pet peeve is the abuse of stair-step neutrals. Some installers use up the most accessible lugs first, leaving the service guy to thread wires and screwdrivers through tiny gaps.

Boy we really do think alike. [Linked Image]

When people use the front first that is just plain ignorant!

Good thinking! This would not have occured to me, although I have certainly drilled into quite a few panels!

Thanks

I also have some very short bits for panel work. I keep a 1/4" pilot bit that I intentionally snapped shorter. I can chuck it in my drill with only about 1/4" sticking out of the chuck, it is very hard to get into live stuff with it.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#122706 01/05/06 12:08 PM
I
iwire Offline OP
pauluk

Over here in Britain it's kind of an unwritten convention to start with the high-power circuits next to the main and then gradually work down the bus ending with the 5 or 6A lighting circuits at the far end.

That is the 'normal' way here as well. I am just not sure it makes a bit of difference.

ShockMe77

I want to start takings pics of my work but the fella's at work all think I'm a bit off my rocker for wanting to do that.

Yeah that happens, so what? [Linked Image]

The one thing I don't understand is this, why do the conductors coming through the "donuts" (in pic #3) have to be derated? What article prohibits this? I looked at 310.15 (B)(2)(A).

In the right hand 1" EMT are 12 current carrying conductors.

Table 310.15(B)(2)(a) requires a 50% derate for 12 current carrying conductors.

Table 310.16 shows 12 THHN as 30 amp rated.

30 * .5 = 15 amps

Code wise the breakers should be 15 amp.

By the way MA uses different de-rating tables so this is a legal install in MA. [Linked Image]

Tiger

Grade A Bob

Thanks Dave I take you to be a guy with high expectations so that is high praise.

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#122707 01/05/06 09:53 PM
Y
I want to start takings pics of my work but the fella's at work all think I'm a bit off my rocker for wanting to do that.

I got over that. While on vacation, my wife and I ended up at a laundromat. You have anything better to do while you wait than take pictures of the machines? The attendant asked me why, and I said, "I like to take pictures of washers, and I don't care if people think I'm strange."

#122708 01/07/06 03:47 PM
X
Nice work! I always enjoy seeing work like this. It's obvious that you take pride in what you do.

#122709 01/07/06 04:10 PM
I
iwire Offline OP
Thanks X. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#122710 11/25/06 06:29 PM
J
Great work Bob. And I agree with making it easier on the person following me i.e. the neutral bar. Recently had a slight argument with a coworker about that. I try to look out for someone following me, he said he didn't care.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard