ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 280 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#122659 01/02/06 08:54 AM
I am a new member here" This is one of my service that has been added to and modified.. I KNOW its by no means "neat" and yes, it IS a Federal... so please, "tear it apart""!

Adam Derus

[Linked Image]

Welcome, Adam

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 01-02-2006).]

#122660 01/02/06 09:32 AM
I
Welcome to ECN Adam.

so please, "tear it apart""!

I am not sure you realize what you just asked. [Linked Image]

That is like asking Jerry Springer to get trashy. [Linked Image]

This is a critical crowd here.

OK you asked so I will start with what jumped out at me.

240.81 Indicating.
Circuit breakers shall clearly indicate whether they are in the open “off” or closed “on” position.
Where circuit breaker handles are operated vertically rather than rotationally or horizontally, the “up” position of the handle shall be the “on” position.

By the way, is your service under the NEC?

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#122661 01/02/06 09:46 AM
M
don't sweat it. there is a "Danger High Voltage" sticker on the panel, so that voids all code issues. [Linked Image]

Plus, there's the box with a bunch of nifty colored buttons, so that makes up for anything else [Linked Image]

Outside of that, is the sub-panel for a generator set-up? Are the two CB's all the way on the left of the Sub-panel 3 poles?

#122662 01/02/06 10:09 AM
H
I love the easily readable blue (and red) Dymo tape breaker labels, but we just finished a discussion about the original panel directory having to be labeled...not the cover. (And this hurts because the blue labels in this picture is much easier to read than the pencil on the original directory would be!)

#122663 01/02/06 12:42 PM
R
Hello again!
Well to start off, I just threw it up on the board here to see what happens, I know its not neat, and I do have to 'pirty it up... Make all the cables look neat.
This service is under the "CEC" and as far as I know they are not really picky about indication of what is "on" or "off" when operated other than horizontally.. They SHOULD be I agree, but there are many panels up here that are like mine!

The "High voltage" sticker, purely ornamental, I love ornaments! [Linked Image]

The Buttons? Damn I love those too.. That is actually 24V control for the pool pump, pool heater AND a fill solenoid valve, with 24V indicators to identify whats picked up and what isn't.. There is also a twin to that P.B panel out in the shed, also where the mag starter is located.. Saves a LOT of grief of having to walk around the house to turn the pool equip on and off, And being a mag starter, if there is a power problem it all shuts off and stays that way until I turn it back on [Linked Image]
Not what you would expect to find inside a residence eh!

And that panel at the bottom, Yes it is for a generator setup, and yes those are 3-pole breakers with a mechanical interlock between them to prevent them from both being closed at the same time...( they are not the typical 3-pole breaker though, they are special to that type of panel ONLY, and one of those poles is "non automatic" I think, for switching the neutral.) By CEC code you MUST break the neutral as well as the hot conductors when using a generator with its neutral bonded to ground, to prevent any current from flowing in the ground from it now being "double bonded" when connected to the generator.

Dymo lables! I have to re-label.. just changed things in there [Linked Image]

I know there are not many fans of FPE out there , especially in the U.S, I have heard many accounts of them not wanting to trip, and I have seen some of the really old ones get unusually warm under light load, but these newer ones, I have not had any problems with they actually work!!! Hard to believe eh!
I mean, you can still WELD with the 'buggers and they are still a tad slow to trip under an overload ( wide 20 A breaker took 8 mins under a 30 a load) but it did work!!
Just a tidbit of info too, " Schneider Electric" aparently took over FPE AND Square-D some years ago... FPE panels now have Square-D main breakers in em!

A.D

#122664 01/02/06 02:32 PM
That room looks a bit low its hard to tell. IF this was resi the Highest breaker handle
could only be 1.7 meters off the floor, it doesn't look resi to me though [Linked Image]

Plus i think the minimum headroom is supposed to be 2 meters if this is service equipment.
its hard to tell with the pics.

That wouldn't be an empty nmd connector that i can see is it [Linked Image]

#122665 01/02/06 07:16 PM
R
Ya, its a resi service!.. Don't know the ceiling height, its a good 8 or 9 feet anyway ( enough I dont smash my head as I am 6 foot). This panel just for the record is NOT original to the house... This house was built in '66/'67 and the original panel was a "21 circuit" ( 20 plugfuse, ONE stove block labelled "21") triangle fuse panel. It had an amalgamated 8 cct fusepanel tapped off of it as well as 3 disconnects for the pool, A/C and a couple of outlets for block heaters for the van and truck.. The gennie panel got added 3 years ago and it came in pretty handy when the big blackout happened [Linked Image]

Yes, that is an empty NMD connector
[Linked Image] I honestly forgot about that one!!! I will have to go dig up a few K/O plugs! Thank you fer pointing that out!

A.D

[This message has been edited by Rewired (edited 01-02-2006).]

#122666 01/03/06 02:18 AM
Gidday there Adam,
Welcome to ECN, [Linked Image]
Them panels sure look different being mounted horizontally.
BTW, I hope the plumber glued all those pipe joints well.

#122667 01/03/06 06:28 PM
C
Looks to me those pipes are for the Cantral Vac.

#122668 01/03/06 07:19 PM
R
Thank you to all who have welcomed me to this site! This is quite the friendly place I am glad I stumbled on it!

About them'pipes...
Central Vac only, no water pipes in the immediate area..

Should I open ' er up and send a pic of the innards?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard