ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 519 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#122669 01/03/06 09:47 PM
Should I open ' er up and send a pic of the innards?

Bring it on! [Linked Image]

Send em to Electure, Trumpy or the Webmaster [Linked Image]

PS... as an electrician from the states, no matter who is making FPE now, I very well doubt they'll ever live down their reputation here.. It just "feels" wierd to say "I just installed a new FPE panel" [Linked Image]

#122670 01/04/06 03:26 AM
F
If that's sealtite and used as a general raceway or longer than 1.5m the inspector could make you change but only if it's your installation.I hate horizontal panels and try to avoid it if possible but...
Once you finish cleaning it up and lose the HV sticker it will look fine.
So the only defects i see right now are the sealtight,hv sticker,empty connector,labling not complete,and staping the NM within 12" of the connectors.

#122671 01/04/06 02:07 PM
M
Adam:
In the larger panel, there is a line drawn between the Main Breaker (I assume) and the rest of the breakers. There also appear to be a couple of mounting screws along that line. Does this indicate that there is a plate beneath that separates the Main section from everything else? I've seen such panels before (mostly here at ECN), but I think they were primarily of Canadian origin since I have not seen anything like this in the U.S (with the possible exception of some old Wadsworth equipment from long ago).

Also, is there a particular reason for mounting the panels horizontally?

Mike (mamills)

#122672 01/04/06 07:33 PM
R
Lostazhell:

I will send pics as soon as I can.. probably around Friday when I get a few mins at home to do so..
I hear you though on the FPE thing.. I have that same issue with Cutler Hammer... they are cheap and builders love em but I have seen way too many burn up for my liking..

Frank, Ya that sealtite is just going up to a J.B in the ceiling .. Its part of the generator install.. didn't require sealtite of course but it is a short run and it was available, I had a hard time getting my hands on some aluminum flex and connectors at the time believe it or not!!! [Linked Image]

I don't really like the panels horizontal either, BUT they allow it here especially if its a big panel ( 64 or 84 cct) or you are changing out one and would otherwise need a pile of JB's to extend circuits..

Mike: Yes these panels are " Combination" panels.. Combination main disconnect and service all in one tub, with a barrier between that absolutely NO branch circuits may pass.. mains may NOT pass through the branch section either...
As for them being horiz.. just to eliminate J.B's during replacement of an existing panel OR if its a big panel ( 64 or 84 cct)

A.D

[This message has been edited by Rewired (edited 01-04-2006).]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard