ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#122625 12/17/05 10:32 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
A restaurant was recently built. Part of the job involved building a walk-in cooler. The customer bought virtually all their equipment in a single lot from a distant merchant, much of this equipment prooved to be worthless.

Among the equipment were the cooling units for the cooler. The cooler itself was assembled from panels found at the local surplus yard.

With all that as a preface, please look at the installation- and the way the machinery has been placed under the roof overhang.

Is this an outside (wet) location- or just a (damp) protected one? What's your call?

- renosteinke
[Linked Image]

{Sorry Bill and John, just corrected a few spelling errors, made the post hard to read, hope you don't mind, Mike. [Linked Image]}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 12-18-2005).]

#122626 12/17/05 10:36 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Closer:

[Linked Image]

#122627 12/18/05 12:50 AM
N
The controls on condensing units are usally NEMA 1, so is a "damp" location ok?

BTW, that Zinsco/Sylvania switchboard should have gone to salvage yard. [Linked Image]

#122628 12/18/05 04:05 AM
John,
The closer look helps a lot.
Is this your pet restaurant?. [Linked Image]
However, there are a few things here that I aren't comfortable with.
The first being rigid steel conduit going into a refrigeration unit, the reason I say that John is because of vibration, here we would use a Non-metallic flexible conduit and run an extra ECC to the unit.
Secondly, that Evaporation unit should have a cover over it, a 3 sided one I mean, they run better that way.
And it keeps things from falling on the unit and jamming and burning out the fan motor.
Believe me, I've been through this rigmarole!, birds like the humming sound.
John did you do the pipe work there?.
Maybe it's the camera angle, but something looks out of square??.
Double padlocks?, I hope you've got keys mate!.
BTW, you left your steps on the roof. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 12-18-2005).]

#122629 12/18/05 09:34 AM
The way I've heard (not official, mind you) is that generally anything in an area within a line taken at 45° from the edge of the eave to the building can be considered a damp location. Anything outside of that line is a wet location.

#122630 12/18/05 11:30 AM
P
I agree with Scott, the UL test is for 45 degrees. I would consider this a wet location.

Pierre Belarge
#122631 12/18/05 12:25 PM
Cat Servant
Yes, Mike, this is the place that caused me so much grief.

And, yes, I am guilty of the pipe-work. The lower box is actually a disconnect for the compressor- the handle assembly is what makes it look a little "off" from this angle.

There is one line coming from that box that looks pretty sloppy; that is a length of liquid-tite to the compressor (the vibration issue). The other pipe near it- the one with two 90's- actually goes to the back of a receptacle, which in turn enters the top of the cooler. This was my routing for the internal wires.

Good call on the switchgear...I had the devil's own time getting breakers for it- and had to actually make some parts myself. Remember the thread where someone made a piece using a 4-square cover? Same type of gear, same situation (though mine are exact reproductions of the factory pieces).

As for the double padlocks....they even fooled the PoCo. They actually don't lock a blessed thing; there is no way to actually lock the doors. Sure look intimidating, though!

I would have loved to replace the switchgear. This property, however, is rented under what we call |triple net" terms. In short, all the landlord is obligated to do is cash the rent check. As you might expect, this means the tenant is rather reluctant to spend the $10K needed to replace the gear, or the $15K to replace the broken heating unit (the reason for the ladder atop the cooler).

Since the cooler is essentially a "home-made" unit, there is no engineering data available for snow load. As a result, the city is requiring that an independent roof be built. That will solve the 'indoor/outdoor' issue at the same time.

The city is also requiring that an acces hatch, or other permanent means of roof access, be built.

Finally, thanks for correcting my (sometimes) awful typing!

#122632 12/18/05 01:55 PM
S
Double padlocks, (1) for PoCo & (1) for customer entry.

#122633 12/20/05 04:56 AM
E
e57 Offline
Considering the horizontal driving rain I had here yesterday, I say everthing there is WET! (We even had a tornado warning...)

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#122634 12/20/05 08:42 AM
However,
John, I would never kick a man when he is down.
That cabinet is out of square, mate.
Other side of the coin John, I've looked at these pics, but something still looks "not right", I can't put my finger on it!. Arggh. [Linked Image]

Other question springing to mind would be, what's in the enclosure with the padlocks?.
Any chance of a pic?.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 12-20-2005).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard