ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 209 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#122600 12/04/05 11:27 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Here is a picture of the inside of a walk-in cooler. Please note that the pipe is held away from the surface (with mineralacs).

USDA, and most Health Departments, require pipes to be supported in such a manner as to not interfere with cleaning. In practice, this means leaving a pretty good space between the structure and the pipe. You don't want to make a 'pocket' to trap crud.

Also in the pic, note that the alarm guys use set-screw type fittings. This is not an area that gets hosed down, so there probably is no requirement to use compression type fittings. Also, the alarm wires are arguably 'power limited' circuits, with less exacting requirements than power circuits.

- renosteinke
[Linked Image]

E
e57 Offline
The new RT fittings with the gaskets and seals are great for this application, along with a little bit of duct seal putty. You want to get rain in the light fixtures and switches? From the weather system that gets created inside the conduits that pass to the outside of this cooler, as the alarm guys might find out down the line. Sealing is required by 300.7(A)

I have seen light fixture jelly jars like that full from condensation. The colder it is inside, and the hotter is outside, add humitity, and you got a micro climate thunder storm.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
P
That would be the reason that 300.7(A) is a requirement for this type of installation.

Pierre Belarge

Link Copied to Clipboard