ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
E
My career started with a Christmas present when I was in Third Grade. My folks gave me a Gilbert Fun With Electricity set. There were other science and Erector sets, but I kept coming back to things electrical. I went through college right after high school, worked as an electrical apprentice in the summers to round out the theory of electrical engineering with hands on experience. Tried work as a EE but it didn't take. I've been a contractor for 24 years now. There's a curious mix of types in my family, but I'm the first electrician/EE.

Al

Al Hildenbrand
Well I am a first generation electrician myself. I did not like the trade at first but it grew on me really fast once I started learning how to do stuff. I did a 4 year apprenticeship and got my journeyman license and I am so glad I stayed in the trade. The electrical trade is a constant learning experiance and I love it.

It's true that working in the trades isn't as respected as it was.

maintenanceguy,
I agree with you. It really bothers me that "we" (some of us) let it get to us. I used too, and sometimes still do. I've worked in the nastiest ditches, smelliest chemical plants, loustest machine shops, and....and....on some of the nicest executive floors in downtown Houston, doing electrical work. I know that most of you can relate. I've had more fun in the worst conditions than the law should allow. Funny thing about those people working in the downtown office buildings (the ones who don't respect us)....most of them don't make as much money as we do. The problem isn't us.....it's their ignorance.
Hey, electricians out there.....keep your heads up....our true peers...the people who count....they respect us because they know the job we do. Hold on to that.

Standing Tall,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
J
Hey Guys,

I've been reading and learning this forum for a while but now i guess it's time for me to join in. I am a third generation upcoming electrician/engineer. My grandfather started at the local PoCo, followed by my dad and uncle working industrial environments and small residential sidejobs and now me, who is 18 and learning everyday. I had the "i want better for you" discussion with my father because i decided i wanted to go headlong into being an electrician. i didn't want to be an engineer because the little sparky in me was saying "you're gonna be a pencil pusher." i came to realize that that was naive and that i didn't know any engineers to base that off of. anyway so i decided to give college a try since i did well in HS i've got a free ride through college and decided it was best to act on the oppurtunity.

I started with my dad when i was about 12 years old. He did residential side jobs and i was right ther with him, pulling wire installing switches and receptacles. At 14 dad got hurt (back trouble) and moved to the office and i got a job under a contractor doing residantial and commercial work. Currently i'm in college and working in the electrical dept. at home depot (ducks from flying objects). I'm constantly learning and am always a student of the code and will be till i stop breathing. i learn something new everyday. I get a lot of flack from older guys for being so young but knowing what i know but it doesn't bother me b/c i know where i'm headed and i know what i know so when people say no you can't i say yes i can, watch me.

Glad to be a part of the forum

Joel

Hi there guys,
just willing to ask a couple of questions
regarding training in the US, of electricians,
is there a system, where a young fella can
go straight from school, do a time-based
apprentice-ship of say 8000 hours, he/she,
does thier exams, in theory, this is backed up by practical knowledge built up during the
working day.
Over here guys, this is the way that things
happen.
But the sheer cost of training, in any types of
trades, has ruled out any young people,
taking this up.
They are all into IT and various other "easy"
occupations, trainees, are required to pay
for thier training.

S
Trumpy,
i would say the 'average' apprenticeship here is two nights a week in class, and working under a license days.

8000/J-man , 12000/Master exam eligibiliy.

W
I agree with the Doc 100% The Electrical trade has supported 4 generations before me! I am number 5 [Linked Image] KEEP WALKIN TAll.
Wirewiz

[This message has been edited by wirewiz (edited 08-11-2002).]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard