ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Our society has changed its views of the trades from what used to be very respectable careers to almost looking upon them as a cop-out...almost like joining the military.

Lets see when I was 17 and a half I was on my way to Cuba in October 1962, with an MOS of 0300, basic rifleman. I hadnt realized that serving ones country had denegrated to a cop-out.
So I guess I almost copped-out and stayed in until 1967. When I got married and proceeded to have 5 kids, not all at once either, thats when I became a apprentice electrician about june '68, when I started in a Steel Mill. Like George night school and trying to raise a family.
I see the apprentices today and see some good ones and some who are only in it for what they can get out of it.
As far as I am conccerned I am in this trade because I dont love anything as much, and as Steve says, you have to be dedicated and a lifelong student of the trade because its constantly changing. What others perceive our trade to be ? I could care less, because when the power goes out, 'who they gonna call' You know who. the Electrician thats who . [Linked Image]

-Mark-

First generation electrician, but I was mentored by a man that was father-like and ended up taking over much of his clientelle.

Plus I'm in the young side of things (36)... Since ECM said that the average EC was (about) 50 years old...

I've hit the gold mine in getting an apprentice (I think/hope). He's a hard working young man, looking for a better career option than lawn care, already studying the 99 NEC... So, there are some young'uns interested.

I can see the point that it seems that each generation wants more and more instant gratification, but I guess that comes with the increase in technology and luxeries of society.

Personally, I've learned more since I aquired my Masters than I have in all the years before...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
C
My father was an electrician (Air Force 8+ years on generating stations for radar installations) and worked at the trade for a couple of years. Then entered a paper mill where I also worked for a while before going back to school at the ripe age of 35. I have always tried to maintain and enhance my skills in the various trades I have picked up over the years. I am considering going for the Masters exam sometime next year.

I cannot count the many times where I encountered a problem and solved it with a trick or tip that I learned from another "unrelated" trade. Some call it thinking out of the box, but I call it the difference between knowlege and wisdom. (usually the answer to that one is pain!) [Linked Image]

My degree in engineering taught me how to find information and use it.
Life and it's experiences teaches me how to apply it.
The people I meet and interact with teach me what a gift life is and how important it is to have an open mind. Like a parachute, it is just a burden until when needed it is opened.

E
I'm a 33 year old first generation. I got started pulling wire for a summer job in High School. During college I did the same and after started my own construction company (boy did I have a lot to learn). A few years ago I decided to get back to my "roots" and convert my company to electric only.

I can say I learned more from taking an extension license prep test than I did on the job.

G
2E1X4,
I owe you an apology. I misread your intent, and did something uncharacteristic, and for that, I am sorry.

Just because of one "grumpy old man" don't let that keep you from the forum, nor from asking questions.

I've always been a proponent of the free speech aspect of this forum, you won't even find me blasting away at the obvious homeowner who asks completely inappropriate questions. (but just because I believe they have a right to do their own work does NOT mean I think they have a right to do it in their neighbors house either). Of course it is my right to NOT answer questions either.

Please forgive my rude and boorish behavior, join on in, I ain't always that way.

P
I'm not sure whether you'd class me a first generation or not.

I'm 36 and went into the telecomms & electronics field when I left school at 16. The "sparky" side of my work grew because in the places I've lived since people couldn't get anyone else to do a good job at a reasonable price.

But although my professional work started "only" 20 years ago, I've been interested in everything electrical/electronic since I started playing with batteries and bulbs when I was about 5. That's an interest I inherited from my father who had also developed a similar interest at an early age (his work was only very slightly related as he was a cost & quantity surveyor for a heating & ventilation company).

On the subject of younger people entering the trade, I recall when I started working for the phone co. in 1982. I was one of about a half dozen apprentice techs who started at the same time, and I was surprised at how most of them had almost nil electrical knowledge.

Maybe I was naive back then or maybe it was my childhood background, but I just assumed that anyone entering the telephone engineering field would have already had enough of an interest to have learned at least some basic theory.

A
I am a first generation electrical contractor too. Got into the trade helping my uncle back when I was 12. Never got those electrons out of my system.

Installed a 28kva three phase theatrical lighting system in my high school with the help of my best friend at age 15 (under the supervision of a licensed contractor whos kid went to school with us). He's now an electrical engineer.

In college I opened a commercial sound and lighting company doing installs in schools, churches, clubs and restaurants. Got into doing intelligent lighting (Martin, Lightwave Research) and had a good niche going but the travel was rough. Graduated college and realized it was easier to wire a whole house than rig a 800 pound speaker cluster in an 80 foot cathedral in a church.

Went to work with a local electrical company and did'nt learn much. Changed companys and learned what NOT to do to be successful. Went back to school and learned more in three months than I had in 8 years in the trade. I am a ball busting code stickler to work for and my employees and customers know it.

H
My grandfather started out as a carpenter on the railroad here in NJ. Then one day they asked for volunteers to work on some wiring for the train signals. He voluntered as stayed on as an electrician. My father worked for the railroad, but didn't do any electrical work. I started out doing alarm wiring in 1975, then moved to electrical work with a contractor. I have no military experience, other then I was going to Vietnam, when the war ended. In NJ you need at least 5 years in the field to take an 8 hour test. If you pass, you can get an electrical contractors lic. Once you have that and 5 years in your own business, you can take a test for an electrical inspectors lic. There are 3 parts for the inspectors lic. and if you pass the first 2, you gat an ICS lic. if you pass the third part and 10 years experience, you gat the HHS lic. You also need some college for those tests.

Caper

I'm a first generation sparky also. Started in this field in 1980, worked for a contractor, went to tech school. Put in the time, took the contractors test, passed & started my company. Continued at trade school & private instruction & took the inspectors tests (all 3 at once) got my ICS, Plan Review and HHS Inspectors Licenses.
Still contracting, crew of 5, commercial and site lighting.

BTW, I'm in New Jersey.

No, I'm not a college guy. HS and Vocational.
I guess I'm one of the "older folks" 54.

I'm satisfied with my life! I came a long way, not "rich", but comfortable!
HotLine1
John

John
M
Our country has changed alot in the past 50 years, even the past 25. We used to consider ourselves an industrialized nation. But the biggest chunk of our money isn't in industry anymore. We now sub that out to other countries who are just becoming "industurialized".

It's true that working in the trades isn't as respected as it was.

But that's not bad. Do what you do because you enjoy it and are good at it. Don't worry if it's a glamorous as the new hot jobs. The new hot jobs have a way of fading away and as the supply of tradesmen in any field goes down, the demand goes up and so does the going rate for that trade.

So hope that no one ever wants to be an electrician. Someday you may be the only one left. Imagine what you're going rate would be then.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard