ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by emolatur - 05/18/24 06:12 PM
Electricians revenge
by gfretwell - 05/09/24 08:24 PM
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 46 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
No way would I stay at this hotel. I don't believe in staying at hotels that wire their buildings in MC cable. For me, it's got to be E.M.T.

You apparently do not get out much. [Linked Image]

Many (most) Hotels (outside of a few large metropolitan areas) will be MC and many will be NM.

Can I ask how you choose where to stay?

The buildings wiring method is not usually something I would expect the reservation clerk to know about. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
A
Just a little note on asthetics froma woman's perspective. It needs to meet code - of course. But ALL conduit is unapealing to the eye, flex, rigid the lot. If you want pleasing it needs to be buried (out of sight)in the concrete. Very few people outside our industry look at electrical infrastructure and say WOW that looks like a neat job. Same goes for the utility closet in the hotel - who cares if the utility closet is full of snaking conduit - just so long as the door closes and is painted in the same decor as other doors on the floor. In the parking garage the same could be said for those monstrous sprinkler standing pipe connections and pressure regulators - they look horrible - and then they go and paint them RED!!!

S
Of course I was kidding! Obviously, the EMT looks nicer and is easier on the eyes. That was my point.

You're right though, if the customer wants it in RNC, EMT, RMC, whatever - I'll do it that way as long as its up to code and I'm paid accordingly.

Hi there Ann,
Welcome to ECN!. [Linked Image]

A
You can allways stay at a hotel in Chicago if you want EMT. Around here that picture would not pass even in a single family home out in most suburbs.

Tom

"If you want pleasing it needs to be buried (out of sight)in the concrete."

I doubt that there's an engineer around that would condone weakening the structure by embedding all these conduits.

A
Agreed on the structural weakening issue - being one myself. But the point was folk who care about the asthetics of the buildings that they live in, and have the money, bury or hide all of that kind of stuff.

J
I pulled, or should I say, Helped to pull, 500/4 al MC. However it was concealed, and conduit would have been impossible. Not a lot of fun to pull, I must say.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard