ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#12188 08/02/02 11:57 PM
I
In an RV PArk, I have voltage variations even though conductor sizes have been increase to compensate. I have a camper that is using a voltage converter to maintain voltage. Could this cause a back feed through the system and give me false readings. I am also getting a false ground reading on my voltage detector even though I feel the wiring is correct. Any thoughts?

#12189 08/03/02 12:23 AM
Inspector 102,

Welcome aboard!
I sure that some of our more technical-oriented members can give you a better answer than I, But I just wanted to mention an experience I had once.

I was trying to figure out which breaker was for the sales counter at a store once. I could see the cable for it's entire length back to the panel and individual breaker. There were maybe 4 receptacles on the circuit and the only items plugged in were 1 computer through a small UPS and a Calculator. The computer was off, the calculator was on and I could see it from the panel location. I could not get that calculator to turn off even after removing the wire from the breaker. With the circuit off (and wire disconnected) the calculator was still on and I was reading about 115V to N/Gr on the wire.

What seemed to be happening was that the UPS was feeding back into it's supply circuit somehow and into the calculator across the room (same circuit). I could see nothing wrong with the wiring or any signs of tampering with the UPS either. I took the UPS out and everything was normal again.

Bill

Bill
#12190 08/03/02 12:48 PM
P
Welcome!

Do you know what sort of "voltage converter" is in use? Is it just a simple buck-boost transformer, or a more complex electronic unit?

If the latter, then it's possible that harmonics or other spurious signals from the converter are giving you misleading voltage readings.

Link Copied to Clipboard