ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Now they're Teaming Up! Electrician/Plumber cooperation at its finest.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Scott, youre getting as good as I used to be at finding strangeness... I can understand a plumber being cool with us and putting a waterline out for us to bond, but I'd think a cap would be favorable to the hosebib on the end... [Linked Image]

A
THERE HAS TO BE A VIOLATION HERE,PROBABLY A PLUMBING WIOLATION TO HAVE A WATER SPICKET ABOVE ELECTRICAL EQUIPTMENT

JBIELECTRIC EAST MEADOW NY
N
The hose bibb is there so some poor soul can wash down the switchboard. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

R
at least there's a bib on it to stop the grounded electricity from leaking out...and the handle is green indicating a grounded faucet.

Where in the code DOES it indicate size of water pipe necessary to stick your ground...... Something seems funny here.

RSlater,
RSmike

N
A more serious thought, why couldnt the plumber have used a ball valve and pipe plug? That way some poor fool cant flood the place.

E
Doesn't it strike you as ironic that the "Type 1 Enclosure" label is directly under the hose bib.
NEMA 3 req. comes to mind!!

There's no minimum or maximum pipe size in NEC 250.52(A)(1) nor is there a material specified, only that it be "metallic".

[Linked Image] The clamp thingamajig is pretty creative, too [Linked Image]

Many inspectors in this area won't accept a capped pipe as part of the Grounding Electrode, because it may contain only trapped air. As lame as this thing looks, it might have been done in response to a correction notice.

Can a plumber put a hose bibb indoors with no drain?

E
e57 Offline
I think the plumber did this grounding himself after demo of what that ground was connected to. Or, the electrician should have been a plumber.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
S
Many inspectors in this area won't accept a capped pipe as part of the Grounding Electrode, because it may contain only trapped air.

And they do this, why??--It's the pipe that conducts electricity; water is actually a rather poor conductor. It conducts enough for the few milliamps it takes to kill someone in a bathroom accident, but not enough to seriously be considered as part of the grounding.

In fact, pure distilled water is actually a reasonably good insulator.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard