ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 526 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I believe that 110.26(F) Dedicated Equipment Space can be cited here.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
E
Many inspectors in this area won't accept a capped pipe as part of the Grounding Electrode, because it may contain only trapped air.
Not unlike what's between their ears. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Electricmanscott (edited 08-24-2005).]

I
Trapped air??????????????????????????????

What the *&#@?

You got to be kidding us, please tell us your kidding.

Where does the NEC say anything about the presence or non presence of water?

I am dumbfounded.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
E
Do they also require metal objects that are bonded, such as outlet boxes, metal conduit, gas piping to be filled with water? [Linked Image]

And isn't the sharp "j-hook" bend in the grounding conductor a violation? One, exceeding the bend radius of the conductor and two, IIRC there is a specific reference to not having any sharp bends in the grounding conductor.

The hose bib was installed to put out the fire from the Challenger switchgear. [Linked Image]

Stupid should be painful.
Guys, This "air pipe" business come up with various inspectors in various jurisdictions in the area.
These have not been just new-hire-wet-behind the-ears combination inspectors either, but have been seasoned veteran electrical inspectors.
My only guess, and it's just that and nothing more, is that the subject came up at an IAEI meeting and this was the concensus.

I still can't figure for the life of me though, why the inspector (or any of you guys) didn't notice the perverse use of the clamp(s)

If you'll look at that ground clamp you'll see that the actual conductor is clamped by nothing more than the saddle that is meant to hold the armor on a piece of armored ground wire. That clamp was never meant for this type of use, and has a maximum of a #6 conductor, as does the "hub" portion.
The correct hub, if used, would have a 2 screw clamp right in front of the hole that that conductor comes out, and the armored clamp could be saved to be used where it belongs.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 08-25-2005).]

L
One more thing: the red cap looks like the socket-protector that comes in recessed lights.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard