ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Does anyone recognise these two silvery, light gage manhole covers? What are they for?

- renosteinke
[Linked Image]

N
nov Offline
believe it or not they are garbage cans. See them alot in older areas of NJ. I think they are pretty slick, from the days when the garbage men would walk up your driveway and get the garbage. They had a slightly small can inside with a handle that you could pull out and they had foot operated covers.

E
e57 Offline
Yep, garbage cans.... Had a grand-mother in Arlington Ma that had two in her lawn just like 'em. When we were real young, my sister and I would play hide and seek. My sister climbed in to one, she was 5 or 6. Couldn't find her... She came back as the winner, and smelled like vinegar. Ah, memories....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
C
These are sometimes used in neighborhoods that for cosmetic reasons, do not allow cans or bags in front of the house during trash collection. I have seen these in Florida as well.

S
There used to be some of those down the street from me at a higher end house from the 70s. They were tourquoiuse, and I always thought the were dog litter bins. I don't believe they are still there. They were set in the ground though, not in concrete. Now I know what they were (are).

How do you clean or wash these?

It looks like they'd get disgusting easily

I
That's probably why you don't see them much anymore.

I

You don't as far as I remember and yes get within 5' of these and it smelled like garbage. (Go Figure [Linked Image])

Once a week a little 3 wheel dump truck about the size of a golf cart would pull in our driveway and empty the barrel.

I would say they have gone by the wayside due to garbage disposals and the high labor costs of going to everyones house. (And the Stink [Linked Image])

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Bob, 'garbage disposal'-is that the machine in the kitchen sink that chews up waste foodstuffs etc. and puts it in the waste-water? Most of our stuff like that goes back into the garden via the compost-heap, or is processed through our dogs, Mac and William! How do you get the plastics, metal cans, packaging etc. away from the house without a household collection? Recycling stuff at all?
Alan

Wood work but can't!
C

you didn't put the garbage directly in these. there was another can that fit inside adn could be lifted out to dump into the truck. so basically the garbage never came into contact with the "manhole". im sure they probably had holes in the bottom for drainage so you could wash them out when they did get stinky

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard