ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#121341 07/06/05 05:49 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
On a visit to the house of a successful resturaunteur, I couldn't help but notice the wiring of his outdoor lights on his "McMansion." In this case, I think the running of the Romex in the pipe was a blessing....

Please note in one pic the sharp right-angle bend in the EMT- sure looks nice! There are two violations here- name them! (Plus others in the pic also).

The next pic- please forgive the grainieness of the enlargement- shows the type of "coupling" used several times to connect two pieces of EMT.

- renosteinke
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 07-06-2005).]

J
The two violations:

1. Insufficient EMT bend radius.
2. Conduit installation likely not completed prior to installation of wires.

And at least five, and maybe seven more in the upper photo:

3. Improper connector at box (not for EMT).
4. Exposed wires to lighting fixture.
5. Lighting fixture not listed for direct surface mounting.
6. Insufficient NM bend radius (into hole in soffit).
7. NM not secured within 12" of box.

If this is considered a wet location:

8. NM not allowed in wet location.
9. Non-weathertight box in wet location.

Did I miss anything?

Cat Servant
Good eyes, John! FWIW, I was so focused on the bend I failed to notice the way the pipe was connected to the box :-(

I'm not sure about the "flush mounting" issue; there sure are a lot of lights mounted around here where the wire simply pokes through a hole in the wall; the space in the fixture is your only "box."

Being directly under the eave, as I was taught, would make this a "damp", rather than "wet" location. I was taught to imagine a 45 degree angle from the edge of the overhang to the wall or ground....inside this area was "damp." I can't document this "rule" though- maybe someone else can?

Hmm,
I would say that that metal box isn't going to last long the way that it is installed.
Air-borne moisture will see to that.
That bend (if you can call it that) is a real beauty. [Linked Image]
Exactly what sort of a saddle is that in the bottom picture?.
I'd have to go along with Reno here on the "surface-mounting" issue, we have a lot of exact same sensor-light units here that merely screw to the soffit of the house (into timber, of course).
One other thing, has the sensor unit on this fitting been mounted upside-down?
Reason I say that, is because the Time/Lux controls should be pointing downward, or is the black thing on the sensor there a slide switch?

Cat Servant
The sensor is oriented correctly..the black thing is a slide switch, and, if you have a good screen, you can barely see to the right of it a white dial that adjusts the sensitivity.

As for the "coupling:" I had never seen this fitting before. My best guess is that it is used to join EMT to MC cable. The "saddle" being the part that clamps on the MC.

I've never seen the coupling shown either, but:

[Linked Image]

Here's a Regal brand 1/2" EMT x 3/8"flex coupling. Maybe???

H
that installation to the light is missing a ground too.

Cliff
Hemingray,
that installation to the light is missing a ground too.
I do believe that them fittings are Double Insulated, No Earth Required. [Linked Image]

F
We call that a BX to EMT connector.For running in drop ceilings.We install it just above the t-bars to transition to emt for surface mount switches,receptacles.usually it's AC90 to emt though.Saves time and space

[This message has been edited by frank (edited 07-08-2005).]

T
tkb Offline
quote by frank:
We call that a BX to EMT connector.For running in drop ceilings.We install it just above the t-bars to transition to emt for surface mount switches,receptacles.usually it's AC90 to emt though.Saves time and space
------------------------------------

I don't think that you could use this fitting for BX (AC) or for MC cable since it does not have the retainer for the antishort. I believe that it only listed for 3/8" flex to EMT.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard