ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#120920 05/22/05 02:29 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Here are two pics showing hazardous-location (classified area) wiring done by someone who wasn't clear on the concept.

The first is of the entrance to a pre-fab, "engineered" booth for painting trucks. While the lights are technically outside the booth, and thus outside the 'zone', one light, as well as the controls are within 3 ft of the door, and thus within the zone (516.3B4)

I am so reassured to know that someone is out there, manufacturing these booths by the hundreds!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
The second pic shows the disconnect for a propane distributor's pump. Fittings used reveal that EMT was run after the seal, then transitioned near the ground to PVC.

It is permitted to use PVC for the underground portion- but the transition is to be made two feet down, after the bend. EMT after the seal is, of course, not very "explosion- proof" at all

What bothers me most about these pics is that in both cases- one a manufacturer, and the other a utility-type company- there had to have been numerous "professionals" involved who should have known better.

- renosteinke
[Linked Image]

From the sprayed writing on the metal wallwork, was this thing built upside down?
Alan

Wood work but can't!
Cat Servant
No, Alan- but sharp eye! The booth was torn down and transported when the customer moved to a new site!

Link Copied to Clipboard