ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 278 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#120908 05/22/05 01:34 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
(submitted by Joe Tedesco)
A client I am now working with has had a recent remodel done on the lighting and kichen of his home. In my inspection for a service upgrade, I came across this panel installed in a pantry in the kitchen. This was installed as part of the remodel he had done.
I thought that your readers might be interested in these.

Thanks
John LLoyd
Estimator
San Rafael, CA.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#120909 05/22/05 01:43 PM
Is that another panel behind the Goldfish and Ritz crackers???

#120910 05/22/05 05:09 PM
T
It looks like there was an existing panel in the wall, which has been covered by the pantry cabinet, with circuits extended to the new panel, probably to make it (marginally) more accessable..

The pantry cabinet looks old, as do the shelves..

I only see one piece of flex, is everything including the feeder in there?

clearance? we don't need no stinking clearance.. (or workspace..)

How would you fix this, besides ripping out the pantry cabinet?

#120911 05/22/05 05:52 PM
L
The "fix" would be to relocate the new panel (it has a surface-mount cover already) and extend the circuits to a location outside the pantry.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
#120912 05/22/05 08:50 PM
It looks to me like the 90° flex connector is attached to a hole that's been drilled in the panel door [Linked Image]

#120913 05/22/05 09:10 PM
E
e57 Offline
Yeah Randy, looks like a flex 90 coming out of the face of a panel.

For those not in the know... San Rafael is Marin County. The big joke among many EC's in the Bay Area is: "Inspections?! Permits?! It's Marin!" Thought it was funny until I went looking to actually pull a permit a few times. Some areas are unincorporated, and only need an inspection for services. The one guy who was covering the county at the time, gave me an inspection over the phone once. Made it seem like 'why are you even bothering...' I think they have hired more people since then. But even in the incorporated areas, inspections are done by multi's and third parties, if at all.

I don't work up there as often as I used to, but to see some of the shoddiest handy man work done, go for a visit. A panel in the pantry, or in under-cabinets, or my favorite, in a crawl space, are typical. As this pre-dates Home Destructo in that area, I'd say this has a tag from Yardbirds, or Goodmans stuck to it somewhere.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#120914 05/30/05 09:55 AM
What the....???!

"Live the dream, you only get one chance."
#120915 05/30/05 12:42 PM
Cat Servant
My first impulse is to observe that panels were once routinely placed in pantrys, cupboards, closets, etc. It often seemed imperative to hide the panel, and was permitted by code. Even today, there is no general rule against this; we don't even define "closet."
We do have a definition of working space, and prohibitions against placing panels in shower spaces ,and closets "such as clothes closets."

A better perspective was when I realised that folks' would have had a different attitude toward their panels if electrical systems weren't so reliable. The fact is, a home's electrical system is largely forgotten about- until something goes wrong.

This site alone has documented hundreds of still-functioning systems that are older than the occupants. My own house has a system essential unchanged since 1940. Likewise, we see countless examples of truly incompetent "improvements" that somehow seem to work for years without problem.

What these facts tell me is that sparkys have been doing a exceptional job, for a very long time.

#120916 05/30/05 02:19 PM
L
"The fact is, a home's electrical system is largely forgotten about- until something goes wrong."

Yeah, just like us poor electricians!

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
#120917 05/30/05 05:28 PM
Larry, LOL!
I posted some photos of bad French wiring last week. The owner decided to come over yesterday with his caravan, but the electrician isn't due to make it safe till am tomorrow. I phoned him Friday, told him the situation and said 'DON'T turn the power on on Sunday, it's NOT SAFE. He phones me last evening, saying he had arrived, and seconds later lets out bloodcurdling yell! JHC! I thought he'd electrocuted himself!, but no- he'd been stung in the neck by one of the giant wasps/hornets we have here. Advised him to get to the MDs office straight away, as these are dangerous sobs.
An hour later, my wife sends me out to see if he's ok, and when I pull into his drive, all the lights are on in the house, and nobody is home! Go to the cafe, and there he is, after a shot of cortisone, sipping a cognac for the 'shock'.
"You turned the power on!"
"Yeah, well, I need the lights to find the caravan in the dark"
I bloody give up!!
Alan

Wood work but can't!

Link Copied to Clipboard