ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
H
Greg,

What about that all important sec of the code? 90.4 which says, you do as I say? smile

A lot of AHJ's hide behind that section a lot.

Harold;

Yes, you were tasteful! I refer to those guys as "paper hangers"!

Amazing, when the EC is called/contactedfor a violation, the responses are really funny. "What job"; "what are you talking about"; "never heard of that person"....etc.

It's even hilarious when no corrections are made, and the EC of record shows up at the counter with the Notice of Violation & monetary penalty in hand!!

John
G
I doubt most electrical inspectors have ever seen an installed A/C condenser on a job site. The EC sets the disconnect, gets his final and that is it. The condenser might drop the day before the customer closes. (along with the appliances)

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Up here, a 'Final' inspection means just that "Final". All equipment must be installed.

There is no way that I am aware of to check the circuit for the compressor without seeing the nameplate, for minimum circuit ampacity, and max OCP.

Harold & I are talking about replacement HVAC. A Lic EC is required for the compressor up here.

John
G
Florida will allow the HVAC contractor to make up the whip to the disconnect. They usually will not drop the condenser until the last minute because they have a habit of walking away.
The flip side of that is that the disconnect will usually be wired to 310.16 so it really doesn't matter that much how big the condenser is since the wire is plenty big.

Greg Fretwell
H
Greg,

As John said, on new houses or new HVAC jobs, the outside compressor has to be installed. If the HO wants to move in before the outside unit is ready, my boss will allow them to Co the building, but they have to pull a new permit for the units that weren't installed. This way we can get back into the building to check the HVAC when they are installed.

H
John,

Just today I see a permit on my desk. It was for an HVAC replacement. I did plan review on 6/24 and noticed that the permit for electric wasn't sealed and was filled in by the HVAC contractor. I called him up and left a message stating that the permit needed to be signed and sealed. So today as I walk into the office, the permit was on my desk. I thought the permit might have been sealed, but to my surprise, I saw a copy of a bill in here that the job was already done and paid for. The best part of this whole story is that the bil was dated 5/24/11. That was almost a month before we even got the permit for plan review. I can't wait to here the story behind this one.

Harold:
Before Bill has us arrested for 'jacking' this thread, perhaps either you or I can start a thread on the permitting issues!

Quickly, yuor situation above, I would send the HVAC guy a Notice of Violation, Electrical Subcode & Administrative, for $1000 to get his attention!

edit: I started a thread for permit issues for AHJs and ECs. Lets carry this on there, OK?

Last edited by HotLine1; 07/20/11 04:12 PM.

John
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard