ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
I know that this is sort of unrelated, but I am curious to know what the heck that gas stub-out is for. It doesn't make much sense to me unless I'm missing something.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
Ed:

Although I did not take the pics within, this is a common rough out for a warm air furnace with an 'A' coil for the AC. Gas is for the heating portion.

John
E
I thought that as well, John. I guess what had me stumped was the block of wood that appeared to have been placed for a thermostat. In all my days, I've never seen a thermostat located so closely to a furnace.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
I guess the HVAC guy wanted the t'stat wire right there for some reason.

John
Cat Servant
I've been delinquent in watching this thread! It took me a moment to realize these were MY pics!

The install is a commercial building. The A/C is only half the picture; the other is the furnace (not yet installed, hence the stub-out.) The t-stat wire needs to go there, because it is the furnace blower that circulates the air past the evaporator coil - which is mounted in the same ductwork the furnace uses.

This is 'kosher' since the t-stat wire simply tells the furnace controls to turn on the blower; it doesn't actually power the blower.

You see two wires because there are to be two units; one to serve the upstairs and one to serve the downstairs. Both heating units are located in the same (second floor) mechanical room.

A little bragging is in order. This job was my first 'design/build' effort. Details were sketchy, and the manner of construction unforgiving. Still, I was able to guess well enough that, in the end, I only needed to relocate two receptacles- and I was able to 'cheat' a bit on those.

tshea is right. Blown up, you can see the stud was split. How else would a framing nailer get the heads flush with the stud? 'Someone' then worked over the area with an electric [?] planer to smoothe it over, hence the shavings on the deck. When sheetrocked, there will be a huge shallow dent.

Wood work but can't!
G
I know I am late on this but I always see the T stat wire run with the freon line set. The installer tapes the T-stat wire to the outside of the armaflex while he is putting it on the evaporator line. Then they run it all together as an assembly. That also eliminates the problem of the electrical inspector complaining about it being taped to the seal tight.

Greg Fretwell
Tape is not an approved means of support for any cabling! Comments?

John
G
Cite that.
I don't see any listing mark on tywraps or Romex staples either. wink

Greg Fretwell
H
John,

Yes, I guess you could say I was tastefully stating the fact that all permits signed by an EC, might not ever see a Lic. EC on site. After seeing some of the work done, you just KNOW an EC wasn't there.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard