ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
If I read this right, the homeowner wants 1 mile of wire run along the public right of way for his personal use alone.

I think the "personal use alone" is what makes the price high.

If this is along the public right of way, I suspect the homeowner is not allowed to run his own wire without new easments.

S
We've come a long way from the REA,
( at least in attitude) the old timers say they'd knock on doors trying to 'sell' people on having power......

65K would sure buy a lot of alternate energy.

C
I guess it depends on what the PUC rules are for your state. It appears that the PoCo is not refusing to provide service here but wants to get paid for the construction. Here in CA the customer is responsible for any underground sub-structure work done by PG&E and the cost for any wire over 100 feet. If the 65K includes all trenching and sub-structure work you might be able to same some money by doing this work yourself and just have them install the conductors and other equipment. I think if you add up the costs of all the materials and labor for this 1 mile run the $65K will not sound that bad.

Curt Swartz
C
I've seen this done on a golf course before(mind you it was only a 200 amp service). They step a 120/208 service up to 347/600(common in Canada) and then step it back down at the other end of the run and use the appropriate taps,saves on wire size and line loss.

S
still...a mile...... better eat yer wheaties!

I'm with Joeh20. The general rule around here is, the PoCo [bold]must[/bold] bring power to your property. Now, if you have a 1000 acres, and build your house on the back side of it, you have to get power to your house from the PoCo's right of way. The PoCo will bring primary to your house if you are willing to give them a right of way, and pay those big dollars. It sounds to me like your customer owns a piece of property on a mountain, and the PoCo needs to get them some 'lectric up there. If they won't help you, get out the Yellow 77 boys 'cause it's gonna be a tough one.

Running the 2 hour mile,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard