ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 274 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#120081 02/26/05 08:41 AM
submitted by frenchelectrician

Here are some pics from one of his recent jobs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

He'll tell you what happened here.....Marc?

#120082 02/26/05 02:12 PM
D
Man... the fire sure twisted that poor bulb [Linked Image]

One of the first bids I ever prepared was for a hunting buddy. He was looking to buy a house that had suffered a fire, and been partially remodeled - basically they removed all the drywall, sprayed Kilz sealer/primer over the soot stains, and sistered any involved studs and joists.

He wanted a "high" bid as a bargaining tool, so I gave him one... about as much as a whole "rip 'n' rewire" would be.

The owner wouldn't budge. They wanted as much for this burned out shell as if it was in new condition. He wound up building his own place a few years later.

#120083 02/26/05 02:22 PM
C
Some of the worst experiences I've had were with fire rebuild jobs.

Picture this: Home was damaged by fire in the winter. Service drop was cut to home immediately after. By the time we get there to rewire it is mid summer. Most of the house was cleaned out except for fully stocked refrigerator on 2nd floor (meat, milk, all kinds of food).

Refrigerator with no power sits there for 6 months, meanwhile it is a typical New England summer with temps well into the 80s.

The 2nd day we are there to rewire, the GC decides to clean the fridge out.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Peter
#120084 02/26/05 09:24 PM
Marc,
Great pictures there, mate!. [Linked Image]
In the second picture, is that SE cable running into the top of that panel?.
In the third picture, is that a timber slat, in behind that ceiling fitting?
This looks like it isn't going to be an easy job, by anybody's stretch of the imagination.
DougW,
As an EC, I used to do a lot of fire jobs, the washing machine wasn't all that keen on all the soot in my overalls either.
That's why I'd quote as high as humanly possible, the less of them jobs the better.
Anyhow Marc, fire or no fire, it looks like it was time to re-wire anyway!. [Linked Image]
Best of luck with this one.
Oh and by the way, some "After" shots would be cool!

#120085 02/27/05 12:58 AM
F
Hi guys:

this is my first photo i did take with my work anyway i will give you a quick run down with the details here

The first photo you see with the switch box with exposed wires that was on the back staircase that was the first place i did see the code voilation there i told the owner that the box have to go and get the correct box mounted up

second photo i took that is right above the basement wall the larger box is 100 amp SqD box QO series and breaker is good shape it was rather pretty new it was installed few years back with new meter box and riser.
the meter box will be relocated in spring time with new building additon

[ Mike, the large cable above large box is the service entrnce cable it rather very good shape look brand new to me ]

the third photo you see the owner did install the keyless pullchain light socket and put a piece of wood act like spacer due the pancake box is not ressced in the ceiling at all and with very old thick romax wire there and i really doubt there is any grounding wire at all

the fourth photo you are looking in the fire damaged room that is one of older hanging light socket which i really hate the most due very flimsy wire there and that room the fire started in the corner but very instering this room where i took the photo there were NO REPECTICALES at all in that room so kinda of mistery kinda puzzle to me [ the owner claim that the insurance company put down unknowen fire source ]

anyway i will plan to take few more photo along the way and what more the upstair ceiling hight is rather little low by today standard it was 6 1/2 foot ceiling so it is very instering to see where this will go next and i will post it along the way with details of progress

merci, Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Link Copied to Clipboard