ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 376 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#119875 02/07/05 08:21 PM
E
Charlie, that wall is clear. The panel could have gone there. Or an ouside disco could have been used. I wonder if there was a final inspection here. This was part of a large addtion renovation to the house last fall. This is in a city that is usually very thourough but I know they have been shorthanded for a while. I was there adding some receptacles to a new kitchen island. The work inside the panel is just as bad as the outside. Doubled up neutrals, no bushing on the se connector, home made two pole afci breaker.

#119876 02/07/05 08:32 PM
C
yikes!!

#119877 02/07/05 09:45 PM
Yikes indeed. I'm also not liking the bends in the SE cable wrinkling the outer covering.

Stupid should be painful.
#119878 02/07/05 10:07 PM
None of it would pass inspection here.

Thank goodness it's not acceptable anyplace else, either [Linked Image]

#119879 02/07/05 11:50 PM
E
e57 Offline
The SE cable can not be used here. But the distance is well within what would be allowed here in SF.

It's just one of those regional things...

Heres some 2002 commentary on the subject of 230.70
No maximum distance is specified from the point of entrance of service conductors to a readily accessible location for the installation of a service disconnecting means. The authority enforcing this Code has the responsibility for, and is charged with, making the decision as to how far inside the building the service-entrance conductors are allowed to travel to the main disconnecting means. The length of service-entrance conductors should be kept to a minimum inside buildings, because power utilities provide limited overcurrent protection and, in the event of a fault, the service conductors could ignite nearby combustible materials.
Some local jurisdictions have ordinances that allow service-entrance conductors to run within the building up to a specified length to terminate at the disconnecting means. The authority having jurisdiction may permit service conductors to bypass fuel storage tanks or gas meters and the like, permitting the service disconnecting means to be located in a readily accessible location. However, if the authority judges the distance as being excessive, the disconnecting means may be required to be located on the outside of the building or near the building at a readily accessible location that is not necessarily nearest the point of entrance of the conductors.

Heres a little photo gallery of Service conductors that travel within walls from the last time this came up. (Interpeting the same code) http://www.markhellerelectric.com/services/serviceconds.htm

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 02-07-2005).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#119880 02/08/05 10:46 AM
M
e57: Thanks for posting these interesting pictures. Down here in SE Texas (as in many other areas, too), this is very common, especially in older residences and commercial businesses. In my own residence (long since rewired), the service came in from the street and traveled in raceway through the entire length of the attic to the utility room at the back of the house, where it hit the main disco/meter/fuses.

Pretty scary to think about that much essentially unprotected service up there in the attic. [Linked Image] The upside; every time I see one of these services I wonder what kind of vintage equipment is at the other end... [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)

#119881 02/08/05 09:13 PM
E
e57 Offline
SF will allow (Currently, I get a different answer, and ask every time.) 40'!

However, I have seen simular existing/original installs that were whole house, and close to 80'. Like the one you mentioned.

The reactions you get here on this and other forums, is that it would never fly anywhere, anytime. I find it facinating. I have never seen SEC used here, except for oven feeds and sub-panels. Smurf tube is non existant, except for Oakland in slab, and no one stocks it.

And back to thread in this pic', Romex is subject to physical damage under 8' unless behind finish. And would not pass my personal standard 110.12 the way it run.

Mark Heller
#119882 02/09/05 06:13 AM
I
It is intresting to see all the different methods used around the country.

The best thing is each method works fine for that area.

I have to ask about this;

Romex is subject to physical damage under 8' unless behind finish.

Is this a local code because it is not in the NEC.

What is in the NEC is 334.15(A)

334.15 Exposed Work.
In exposed work, except as provided in 300.11(A), the cable shall be installed as specified in 334.15(A) through (C).

(A) To Follow Surface. The cable shall closely follow the surface of the building finish or of running boards.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#119883 02/10/05 12:42 AM
E
e57 Offline
Of course it is, Bob!

300-4(g). Add a definition as follows:

(g)Subject to Physical Damage. Premises wiring systems installed less than 8 feet (2.44 m) above a walking surface or finished floor are considered subject to physical damage.

SF has some really heavy, and nearly facsist enforced and overly interpited codes: It's a culture in our building dept.

The romex deal is a strict enforcement of the interpitation of "Physical Damage" which also applies to MC as well. (As 300.4 mentions "Cable", but doesn't define what type.) Below 8' almost anything is subject to "Physical Damage" if they want it to be....

Another simular interpetation is for GEC's.

Then there are some others that are actually additional codes: http://gcp.esub.net/cgi-bin/om_isap...nfran.nfo&softpage=browse_frame_pg42

Like: The ones from that site are interpeted in the following manner.

No PVC unless encased in concrete, or UG only for utility purposes. Exit in metalic conduit for either. All Service Conductors must be in RMC above 18" below grade.

No non-metalic wiring methods in Commercial at all.

Purple High-legs.

Anyway it has taken years to become aclimatized to the culture here. It can be a blessing, as many EC's have trouble working here. Some don't come back.... The one saving grace is that ALL Codes are STRICTLY ENFORCED! Really, they don't miss much.

Mark Heller
#119884 02/10/05 06:57 AM
S
e57...interesting set of rules you have to follow out there in SF. Surprising to see they allow homeowners to do there own work.It must be profitable for the contractors qualified to work in the city.

shortcircuit

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard