ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
NEC allows the run of a ground wire

Does it? I was under the impression all conductors of a circuit (not only all current carrying conductors as by many other codes) had to be in the same cable or conduit.

A
It's not a perfect world. Their use is better than the alternative, which would presumably be breaking off the grounding pin forever disabling the unit from being grounded even if a three pin recep was available. It's our (collective) fault for designing and creating an electrical system where this type of device is the OBVIOUS answer. I challenge all of you out there to come up with a safe and PRACTICAL solution. And, no rewiring the house or every recep wont cut it.

I challenge all of you out there to come up with a safe and PRACTICAL solution.

Now they obviously wouldn't be 2 for $1.50, but an adaptor with an integral GFI device maybe? Figure China is popping out questionable GFCI outlets for $3.99, I don't see why they couldn't do the same with an adaptor rolleyes ...

Originally Posted by Lostazhell
I challenge all of you out there to come up with a safe and PRACTICAL solution.

Now they obviously wouldn't be 2 for $1.50, but an adaptor with an integral GFI device maybe? Figure China is popping out questionable GFCI outlets for $3.99, I don't see why they couldn't do the same with an adaptor rolleyes ...

[Linked Image from images.lowes.com]

Wally World sells these for about $10 a piece, some of them actually work too. Still need the cheater, but at least you get a GFCI.

Only problem I have with this is the "three outlets means three hair dryers" mentality, where the wiring is usually old, already taxed and serves half the house.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
Originally Posted by Theelectrikid

[Linked Image from electricalphotos.com]

The local Ace now carries these brand new. The owner of the store ordered the "legal" ones, and got these instead. frown

Ian A.

The reappearance of adapters with leads startles me. In terms of the manufacturers reducing costs, this is a big step backward. At the very least, there's the added lead, and now both ends of the lead have to be swedged or spotwelded to something. More material, more labor, more overhead. Ian, I'm curious who the maker of record is, if you can tell. It may just say 'Master Electrician', or is Ace 'True Value'? I forget. sick

RH:

No marks on it but "Made in China." frown Bought it loose, so no box to go back to either.

Like I said, the owner ordered the "legal" Cooper solid-plastic ones, and got these hollow things instead.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
Ian,

In case you didn't know, the box where you got the url to post your picture here is a drop-down box and also has urls for the Medium Image:

[Linked Image from electricalphotos.com]

Bill
S
Originally Posted by Ann Brush
I challenge all of you out there to come up with a safe and PRACTICAL solution. And, no rewiring the house or every recep wont cut it.

The problem is without rewiring it, the adapter's listing is invalid thus can not be used per the NEC. If a jusrisdiction is under the International Fire Code (IFC) you can not use them. Someone proposed a fix of a GFCI pig tail which is is not a subsitute for permanent wiring.

Last edited by sparkyinak; 12/18/07 10:27 PM.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
L
"Made in China."

Don't they Kill every 3rd child and repress their population?

Why do we do bussiness with them? GREED!.
Oh never mind. VOTE!! Oh Never mind.

Greed wins again. GET USED TO IT!!!!!!
Comming to a Country near you.

P
Originally Posted by Texas_Ranger
NEC allows the run of a ground wire
Does it? I was under the impression all conductors of a circuit (not only all current carrying conductors as by many other codes) had to be in the same cable or conduit.

The NEC allows an older ungrounded receptacle to be converted to a grounded outlet by running a separate equipment grounding conductor.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard