ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 667 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Wow!,
This looks like a big job.
Just a silly little question, were the wires in the 3 conduits above the one that blew out, checked or tested to make sure that they weren't damaged from the heat?. [Linked Image]

I
iwire Offline OP
Hi Mike

were the wires in the 3 conduits above the one that blew out, checked or tested to make sure that they weren't damaged from the heat?.

All wires replaced. [Linked Image]

The switchgear was checked by a manufacturers (GE) technician.

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 12-27-2004).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
C
Mike, not a silly question at all. As Bob said all cables were replaced. Yes it was a big job. We started out with five guys at 6AM. Brought in 2 more at 10AM, and 3 more at 4PM. We all left at midnight with everything packed up. Except for the painters coming the next day you would never have known we were there.

L
I'll take a stab at the cause: Insulation damage on the conductors in the bottom conduit where they emerge through the bushing.

It looks like the bonding-bushing lugss on the other three conduits could be pressed into their respective conductors, too.

I try to "pre-bend" wires to keep them centered in, or at least not jammed against, the conduits from which they emerge.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
E
e57 Offline
I say it was the bullet hole in the conduit in picture #3. What ever blew it was vaporized early in sceme of things.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Bump... [Linked Image]

Stupid should be painful.
R
Now THAT is a real eye opener to what can happen !!!That would have been something pretty spectacular to see... That would put some fireworks displays to shame!

Some years ago when I used to work at the supplier a building down the road had its main underground service short out and it also wiped out the padmount transformer ( Service was 400A 120/240V 1 phase, that consisted of 2 ducts containing 3/0 TWH in paralell)... One of the ducts shorted and burned the conductors bare from the transformer to the fault... Turns out when they were pulling out the damaged conductors, a chunk of broken fish tape was drawn out right where the fault appeared to have originated, and had been tangled in there since day one.. About 15 years if not a bit longer..

A.D

D
Bob, Could I have your permission to use your photo. Of course I would give credit.

DHester:
Welcome to ECN forums!

Iwire (Bob) has not been active on this forum for some time.

You may want to try sending him an email.

John
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard