ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
wirewiz Offline OP
For the last few months I have been searching for an older style cable ripper. They used to be used by a number of the residential guys about 20 years ago. I even bought one about 4 years ago in a local supply house. (Someone decided they needed it more thn I did) I can't even locate a picture of one so I'll try and describe it.

Here goes: it was about 4'' long and offset, each end had 2 triangular razor blades on opposite sides the sides were curved so that the blade would not stick out passed the edges. I think one end would do 14-2 and 12-2. The other would do 3 wire on one side and 10-2 on the other. To use it all you had to do was lay the wire in it put your thumb over it and run it down the wire.
I always thought it was a real time saver

If anyone happens to know the manufacturers name, a source to buy them and email me I would really appreciate it.

Or...
Does any one even have one they could take a picture of and email it?

Thanks,

Wirewiz

G
Yo Wiz,
GEEEEEEEZ things like this make me feel OLD!!!! Quit that!

Ideal made them, never bought one, they used to actually put them in boxes of Romex. I've got one somewhere in my shop, I will try to locate it and take a pic for you this weekend if someone doesn't beat me to it.

I swear I thought I saw one at Homey de-pot, try there, but watch your toolbox if the thread on this forum was correct [Linked Image]

C
CRW Offline
I have one, someone gave it to me a few years ago. He also had a new one, in an Ideal box. I've never seen them in a store.

W
wirewiz Offline OP
Thanks George! Free with a box of romex? Is that like the free pair of linemans at the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket of yellow 77? [Linked Image]
I heard of this guy telling the new apprentices that and he would watch them almost dive in the bucket searching for them. Tried the home centers and all of the out of the way hardware stores when I explain it people look at me like I've had my head in a ditch with a gallon of PVC glue all day. I knew some one would know what I was talking about.
George, a teacher once told me always consider old about 10 years older than yourself, that way it never catches you. [Linked Image]
Thanks again
wirewiz

W
wirewiz Offline OP
CRW, I checked the Ideal catalogs and it's not listed.
Wirewiz

[Linked Image from cwikship.com]

Is this the tool that you want?

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
W
wirewiz Offline OP
Sorry Joe, that one you can find any old place, I have a few of those. When someone finds one hopefully we can post a picture.
Thanks, Wirewiz

M
How about try contractortools.com made by Seatek.
mark

W
wirewiz Offline OP
Motor-T, No luck there either.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Wirewiz

J
JBD Offline
Check with Gardner-Bender it is their "curved cable ripper" catalog number CRC-100. It looks like the posted picture except it is an "L" shape instead of a "T".

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard