ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
L
lynnbar Offline OP
just a dumb little question, ive seen this in a few boxs where they will use one neutral per three circurts, I myself like to give each circurt its own neutral.
is this becoming or has been a way to save money. just wondering is all thanks joe

R
Joe, I'm going to assume you are new into the trade. Please research branch circuit multiwire covered in the NEC Article 100.
as well as 300 and 310 and more.

I don't mean to leave you hanging, but if you read these articles it will help more than an answer on the internet.

Remember that a grounded conductor per one circuit is not a neutral in reality.

Roger

L
lynnbar Offline OP
roger,
thanks and youre not leaving me hanging there at all. ill take the time to check it out. Joe

D
Joe -

You asked if 'this' was a way of saving money....I'm sure that may play some part with this practice, but if you check out 310-15(b)(4)(a) [1999] this will give a good reason for using the shared neutral. Example: if you tried to pull 6 circuits in a conduit using your one-neutral-per-circuit method you would have to derate the conductors 50% (Table 310-15b2a)... #12 THHN would only be rated for a 15A circuit ... using the shared neutral process you only derate 20%....in fact, you could get nine 20A circuits (using #12THHN) in one conduit (shared neutral method)vs. only 4 circuits using your method....god I hope I didn't blow my arithmetic!

L
lynnbar Offline OP
Dana,
that clears it up for me and i do see your point. Joe

lynnbar,

You have to realize that this is only an option under certain circumstances, it cannot always be done. For what you describe it would have to be a Three-Phase system and all on different 'phases' or 'legs'.

Bill

Bill
L
lynnbar Offline OP
bill,
thats where i seen this at on a 3 phase panel, joe

Link Copied to Clipboard