ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 391 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#119147 12/11/04 08:07 AM
1/2" plywood over the NM Cable would appear to an exhibitor a fine place to drive a nail to put up a flyer. [Linked Image]

I think to cite the physical damage aspect of the NM cable without also including the physical damage aspect of PVC40 conduit would be a half measure.

NEC352.12 - Rigid Nonmetallic Conduit, "Uses not Permitted"....
"(C) Physical Damage. Where subject to physical damage unless identified for such use."

NEC352.10, "Uses Permitted"
(F) Exposed. For exposed work where not subject to physical damage if identified for such use.

Unless it's PVC80 it's a violation, & it looks like that feeder has an even better chance of getting clobbered than the Romex.

#119148 12/11/04 01:18 PM
O
Arround here,for protection ,they would want it either boxed ,such as a stud space,below and on top to the 8',then covered with plywood or wall board or when using rnc,it must be sch 80.

#119149 12/12/04 09:57 AM
P
Nema Standards Publication RV 2-2004
Application and Installation Guidelines for Nonmetallic-Sheathed Cables

"Currently, Types NMC and NMS are not commercially available, but Type UF-B can be substituted for NMC."

It does not say that NM-B is restricted to dwellings. What is does say has me a little confused, as this information is not in the NEC. Remember this document is not adopted by all jurisdictions, so is not necessarily enforceable.

"Use of Type NM-B in multifamily and other structures is restricted to buildings of 5 stories or less."

"Nonmetallic-Sheathed Cable, when used in Structures other than dwellings, must be concealed within walls, floors, or ceilings that provide a thermal barrier of material that has at least a 15-minute finish irating. as identified in listings of fire resistance rated assemblies."

As an inspector, this document provides some interesting information, but I would be hard pressed to say that in a commercial installation I would not allow NM cable to be installed exposed where it is protected from physical damage - whatever physical damage may be.

For anyone interested, read the disclaimer that is provided with this document.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
#119150 12/13/04 09:53 AM
S
PCBelarge wrote:
As an inspector, this document provides some interesting information, but I would be hard pressed to say that in a commercial installation I would not allow NM cable to be installed exposed where it is protected from physical damage - whatever physical damage may be.

I could have used one of the other NEC standards, but, chose to go with the physical damage issue. But, it probably would have been better to approach it from the perspective of 110.3.
110.3 Examination, Identification, Installation, and Use of Equipment.
(A) Examination. In judging equipment, considerations such as the following shall be evaluated:
(1) Suitability for installation and use in conformity with the provisions of this Code
FPN: Suitability of equipment use may be identified by a description marked on or provided with a product to identify the suitability of the product for a specific purpose, environment, or application. Suitability of equipment may be evidenced by listing or labeling.

Or I could have used 334.10(3). Which is identical to the information in the NEMA publication.
334.10 Uses Permitted.
Type NM, Type NMC, and Type NMS cables shall be permitted to be used in the following:
(1) One- and two-family dwellings.
(2) Multifamily dwellings permitted to be of Types III, IV, and V construction except as prohibited in 334.12.
(3) Other structures permitted to be of Types III, IV, and V construction except as prohibited in 334.12. Cables shall be concealed within walls, floors, or ceilings that provide a thermal barrier of material that has at least a 15-minute finish rating as identified in listings of fire-rated assemblies.
FPN No. 1:Building constructions are defined in NFPA 220-1999, Standard on Types of Building Construction, or the applicable building code, or both.
FPN No. 2:See Annex E for determination of building types [NFPA 220, Table 3-1].

The NEC handbook provides a better description of the building types than Annex E.

The five fundamental construction types used by the model building codes are Type I (fire resistive), Type II (noncombustible), Type III (combination of combustible and noncombustible), Type IV (heavy timber), and Type V (wood frame). Types I and II basically require all structural elements to be noncombustible, whereas Types III, IV, and V allow some or all of the structural elements to be combustible (wood).

The building in question here (wooden barn) is obviously in the Types III, IV, V category (more than likely Type V). So... Both the NEMA publication and the NEC seem to be in sync. They both allow NM cable in buildings other than dwellings. But, the difference is... in dwellings it can be installed exposed, but, in "other than dwelling units" that are not constructed of "non-combustible" material... it would seem NM has to be concealed. This is not what I see as I do inspections.

So... Glenn confused! [Linked Image]

Personally, I don't see why there is a "lower" standard for dwelling units. [Linked Image] I think it should be concealed everywhere unless the "exposed" NM is in an unoccupied attic or crawlspace. Which would essentially mean that it is "concealed" for all practical purposes.

Sometimes (like in this case) I am trying to figure out where the NEC language came from... which in this circumstance is obviously NEMA. Or maybe this is a chicken and egg scenario. [Linked Image]

Edited for spelling errors. I guess that’s what happens when you are typing fast. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by safetygem (edited 12-13-2004).]

#119151 12/13/04 10:01 AM
S
Not that I didn't have enough information in my last post... but... I almost forgot to thank electure!

electure wrote:
I think to cite the physical damage aspect of the NM cable without also including the physical damage aspect of PVC40 conduit would be a half measure.

Thanks! Sometimes I get caught up in the moment when doing an inspection and miss some obvious things! [Linked Image]

I'll address the next time I go out to the site.

#119152 12/18/04 10:18 AM
I'll go with iWire on the NM-C.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard