ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#119103 11/17/04 08:23 PM
Our final inspection for the building shell was turned down because one of the 82 15 watt CFLlamps on this wall was bad. I replaced it the following morning.

Is that taking things a little too far?

The same inspector wanted access doors behind each of the luminaires [Linked Image] (To see the back of a 4S box?)
He also said we'd need an exterior light over the door to the 40 square foot electrical room down at the bottom left. (The 82 lights run dusk to dawn)

[Linked Image]

************Disclaimer**********
BTW, Our member Dmattox did the TI on this job!!...And neither he nor I had anything to do with picking the color or this silly lighting scheme [Linked Image]

#119104 11/17/04 08:34 PM
R
Where do these type of inspectors (I appologize to the true inspectors here for using that title to discribe this person) come up with these off the wall ideas.

BTW, I like the color. [Linked Image]

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 11-17-2004).]

#119105 11/17/04 09:29 PM
Scott:

I think that the inspector could have given a final for the job, knowing that the bulb would be replaced.

Please expand on the type of fixtures used and the reason for the access to the boxes.

Can I see the space behind them in an above the ceiling or attic location?

That door on the left, is it an exit only? I think that the light there would be needed if an exit from that room was necessary because of a problem in that equipment room that resulted in an overcurrent condition.

Please send me a few pictures so I can feature them during the Anaheim EC&M show in February. Also please introduce me to the during the show.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#119106 11/18/04 01:56 AM
D
The door on the side is the electrical room. Besides with all of Electure’s lights, no additional A.B. lighting was needed for the drive up ATM :P

The inspector here is a nightmare for Electure’s shell crew, was complaining that they didn’t have certain stickers from the manufacture and the manufacture would tell them no such stickers exist.

The worst complaint he had, was with the ground bus in the main switch gear, it was along the back of the two sections and had T that went to the front of one of the sections. Like everyone would, Electure's crew attached their grounds to this part of the buss. The inspector told them to put it on the back buss because someone might remove that section of bussing!!!

For some reason my inspections were always timed so that our inspector was out of town :P

#119107 11/18/04 05:50 AM
Is, or was the inspector IAEI or ICBO certified, state licensed, or an experienced electrical industry electrician, or in some way related to the trade?

Please provide the entire list of violations if possible, and any references to the code in effect, either at the local or state level.

I am prepared to challenge that inspector if given the opportunity. Maybe we can plan on a field trip to tag along during the next inspection?

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#119108 11/18/04 08:16 AM
D
He is an employee of one of the cities around here. He didn't give any code sections on any of the tag sheets I saw. Electure will have to give ya the full list.

#119109 11/18/04 08:46 AM
btw, the grd bussing was not the neutral disconnect link.
The fixtures are your garden variety vaportight, like you'd have in a walk-in freezer, with cages. They mount to a roughed in 4"Square box with a mud ring.
An access panel would reveal nothing but the back of the box. dmattox would need to buy 80+ little pictures to cover them up
We didn't put them in. No more necessary or beneficial than an access behind each wall plug or switch would be.
The inspector would write nothing more than "Not ready for Inspection" or the like on any of the violation notices that I ever saw, after launching into his verbal manifesto . Talking to him would avail us nothing. He'd just tell us to call for a re-inspect when ready, and then leave.

There are no more inspections, Joe.
It's up and running.

Sadly, and as is almost always the case, we had a schedule that didn't allow us to challenge any of his good ideas (he had many, many more, a couple of which we just ignored). We just complied with his requests for the most part, because each reinspect would cost us at least ahother day [Linked Image]

That's the biggest problem of all, I think.

Unfettered, he's doing the same to someone else who has a completion date today. I can imagine the scrambling that some poor contractor is doing this morning to keep his tail out of a Liquidated Damages situation by complying with the inspector's demands.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 11-18-2004).]

#119110 11/18/04 09:37 AM
D
BTW, your guys did a great job on those lights Electure. They look great at night [Linked Image]

#119111 11/18/04 08:02 PM
S
Where do they get these people???
You should give the job card to the developer or landowner (who has more clout than you) and send him down to City Hall and demand a written correction with applicable code sections OR sign the card. I promise you something will happen.
The bigger the developer the more power he or she has. I see it happen all the time.

The only way to get rid of this guy is by continued documented complaints that he is not doing his job. It won't be easy and it will require persistence.

You decide if it's worth it.

Larry LeVoir
Inspector
City of Irvine, CA
#119112 11/20/04 05:16 PM
As an employee, it's not my call to make. I'd probably be discharged if I dragged the company into a ruckus like this would be, and like you say, sandsnow, I've no clout anyhow.

After it's done, it's on to other things and places. The priority was to just get the heck out of there, and not look back.

I think that's just how an inspector like this can still be around. [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard