ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#119038 11/26/04 08:16 AM
(Courtesy of Joe Tedesco)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#119039 11/26/04 10:42 AM
C
I'm glad to see the meter was sealed in the last picture. Is this a remodel job or an abandoned building? Just wondering why the panel was left like this?

Al

#119040 11/26/04 01:40 PM
E
e57 Offline
I think they were nice enough to steal the meter seeing that they stole the main CB too. That way not leaving live loose conductors in the panel. Too bad they didn't install the base cover themselves.... What ever happened to courtesy?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#119041 11/29/04 11:57 AM
C
This came to my attention from the utility company. They were notified by the police that they had caught the meter thief, and recovered the meter before the theft was discovered. The utility company ran the numbers and came up with the address and requested I check the status as they didn't have someone they could break loose immediately. As it turned out, the house is a vacant city owned structure and is pending demolition. It appears that the neighborhood started stripping out anything and everything of value before the demolition contractor was given the order to proceed. The service lines were energized to the meter socket and very accessible to children and passers-by. I carry a few of the meter rings and blank covers so was able to secure service until the utility company was able to get a serviceman free to drop the lines. Meter theft is becoming quite popular both as a swap meet sales item and also for some people that either plug themselves in to steal power or use a secondary meter part time in a "revenue sharing" scheme to keep their meter reads lower. ERFERTT

#119042 11/29/04 05:30 PM
Codeenforcementguy,
Why is that wire coming out of that LB in the way that it is?.
Or is it just my eyesight?.
It just looks like it's always been like that. [Linked Image]
It appears that the neighborhood started stripping out anything and everything of value before the demolition contractor was given the order to proceed.
This sort of thing really happens?.
Just a final question, what brand is that clamp meter?. [Linked Image]

#119043 11/29/04 10:22 PM
J
Oddly enough, I often get requests to 'salvage' the second meter when doing service changes. (We used to meter waterheaters separately). These requests invariably come from people who are wanting to park a trailer, convert a garage, or otherwise illegally "subdivide" their property, without regard for zoning, etc.
These people know what they're asking; they all know where to buy legal meters, and what the prices are- they're just too damn cheap to do it legally.

#119044 11/30/04 06:04 AM
I
Mike

This sort of thing really happens?.

Are you asking about the 'scrapping' of items?

You bet, some things I heard that have gotten scarped that should not have been.

Aluminum street light poles, chopped down like trees.

All the copper pipes from unattended buildings.

An entire aluminum concert stage stolen and scrapped while still on the truck.

I was watching "Cops" on TV and they found a hole in the side of a building along with a water trail. They followed the water trail right to a guy with still hot and dripping water heater in a shopping cart.

Right now I can get about a $1.00 a pound for copper, it adds up fast.

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 11-30-2004).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#119045 11/30/04 12:23 PM
C
Trumpy, If I am looking at the correct wires that you had a question on, that would be the manufacturer's installed connection to the main disconnect which was removed. I am finding less exposed bars and more covered wiring being used by manufacturer's to connect the meter sockets to the main disconnects. On the Brand of clamp meter, I will need to check and get back to you. It was on special at a local Harbor Freight store for $9.95 and I couldn't resist picking one up. Made in China and surprisingly versatile. It even came with batteries.

#119046 12/01/04 02:11 AM
B
Is there something very strange with this world when you can go to the supply house, pay $300 for a meter and not get a battery but you can go to HF and get one that does about the same(for a while, at least)for $30 and it is "batteris included"?

Link Copied to Clipboard