ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 407 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Scott35 Online Happy OP
Broom Pusher and
Revisiting "Pisa" to see the Leaning Poles!

Hello everyone!

I have Revisited Pisa, and while I was there, got some shots of Utility Poles with "SLP" (Severe Lean Problem)
[Linked Image]
*** FYI: These images are from So. California - not really from Pisa Italy. Also, the Street names are just jokes, not actual Streets in So. Ca. ***

[Linked Image]

Shot down Pisa Ave. showing at least ½ Mile stretch of Poles that lean

[Linked Image]

Check out the 3rd Pole down (next to the Traffic Signal) - it's A' Leanin' quite a bit!

[Linked Image]

A few more with somewhat higher SLP than others

[Linked Image]

Some straight, some tilted.

[Linked Image]

Shot of Poles on Mt. Etna Dr. Can see why they lean, as the Circuit they carry uses really Large Conductors (like 500 MCM maybe), plus they span diagonally for about 300 feet carrying a 3Ø 4 wire feeder.
These Poles are severly Guyed too. They have 3 Independent guys landed on the poles, however they anchor to the Ground in a common point via a "Standoff" item, which is attached to the pole in a Cantelever format. This allows the Guys to span over the Sidewalk.

BTW, what is the term / name for the Guying method explained above?
Also, what term(s) best describe an auxillary Pole used specifically for attaching Guys to it? Would this be a "Pal Pole"?
(the Pole normally is across a Street from the "Target Pole", has Guys Terminated to it from the "Target Pole" and a few supplimental Ground Anchored Guys on opposing side of the ones from the "Target Pole", Pole is typically half the length of the Pole it assists with and the Pole carries no Power Circuits - sometimes Telco / CATV Trunk Cables, but not always)

Tomorrow, I'll try to get a shot of a 230 KV Pole with Transpositions. It's really apparent!

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
D
Are some of those from shots on Katella in Orange? I have noticed those poles also.

A couple years ago a stretch of poles along the Mall of Orange here all fell after a strong wind. Made quite a mess.

the Street names are just jokes

I've got to agree. There's one really named Mt Etna, but it's in Fountain Valley amongst the "Mount" streets. There's probably not a + or - 10 foot change of elevation in the whole City [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 11-15-2004).]

S
Scott 35
The guy that spans a sidewalk is called just that - a sidewalk guy. That's what the old lineman call them. I don't know if there is a term for the stub pole for the guy.
Also, third picture, the traffic signal is out of plumb also or is it your camera [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Larry LeVoir
Inspector
City of Irvine, CA
Sidewalk guys or guy struts are fairly common for most electric utilities but we don't use them much. The short poles are normally referred to as guy stubs. The guy wires that go to the guy stubs are span guys or head guys and the ones that go the earth are down guys. [Linked Image]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy

Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis Utility Power Guy
sandsnow, Welcome!!

It's great to have a local inspector here.

(Are you by chance Larry?)

Dmattox, I drive down Katella every morning.
I've never noticed anything. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

S
Thanks for the welcome
Yes, I am Larry
Evidently you've at least heard of me

[This message has been edited by sandsnow (edited 11-15-2004).]

Larry LeVoir
Inspector
City of Irvine, CA
Scott35 Online Happy OP
Broom Pusher and
Good Eyes, Guys!

Yes, one of the Streets is indeed Katella in Orange.
Ironically, Electure's early Morning shot is in the same location as mine, just the pictures are "180ยบ Out-Of-Phase" with each other!
[Linked Image]

Man, those are some leanin' Poles!
[Linked Image]

I took a few shots of the HV Transmission Circuit Tower with the Transpositions. Wanted to post tonight, but too tired!
[Linked Image]
Also have a few misc. shots of Equipment at the current project, and a much more recent personal photo taken inside a GP 38-2 Locomotive to add in the "Whadda Ya Look Like?" thread.
Believe it or not, it looks much better than the one taken in Barstow!

Wanted to thank Sandsnow and CharlieE for the info regarding the Guying questions.
Also to address Sandsnow's question:

Also, third picture, the traffic signal is out of plumb also or is it your camera [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

My camera had a few degrees of tilt towards the Left when this shot was taken.
I'll see what I can do to the image with the editing application to straighten things out.

Again, thanks to everyone for the replies!

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
sandsnow,
Although I don't know you personally, (we've met a few times) your reputation precedes you.
It's one of a knowledgeable, fair inspector that enforces the Code and not an agenda of his own.
Actually, your whole Dept is thought of as one of the best, and your City is always a good one to work in.
We can always know what to expect, and that, in itself, says a lot.

Thanks for joining us

P
Scott,

I'd be quite happy to put up with all those leaning poles so long as I could have some of that lovely blue southern CA sky to go with them! [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard